PDA

View Full Version : How would you price this tablesaw?

glenn bradley
09-21-2006, 9:02 PM
Dear friendly moderator; if I'm OT please move me.

Gear up for a potentially dumb thread . . .

I bought a hybrid saw and have a couple contractor saws to sell. The question is this: one Craftsman circa 1970 saw might be worth $100. But, I have added PALS, an Align-a-Rip fence, machined pulleys and link belt, upgraded switch and a mobile base. Most of these things are specific to the saw model and used might be worth another $250 - $300.

Would you strip the saw down to it's original configuration or try to sell it with all the add-ons? My concern is finding someone who understands the add-ons will limit my audience and if I strip it down, I'm stuck trying to piece out the goodies.

The second saw is a great old Craftsman circa 1950 saw with a nicer top and trunnions than I've seen on a lot of "real" saws on the market today. Street price on this guy seems to be around $75. I'd love to keep it for a cut-off sled saw but just don't have the room.

P.s. I'm in SoCal - Riverside area.

Jim Becker
09-21-2006, 9:19 PM
Those older C-Man saws were generally pretty decent at the time. I'd sell WITH the enhancements. 'Can't help you with the prices much, but I suspect you can get $300 for the "enhanced" unit with little trouble. Maybe a little work on the second one will bring it's value up, too.

Doug Shepard
09-21-2006, 9:25 PM
I sold a saw much like your first one when I got my PM66. The fence was stock, but I also had 3 zero clearance inserts, and threw in the shop-made tenoning jig I'd built for it (I bought PM's jig when I bought the PM66). IIRC it sold for $275. I totalled up all the extras (and listed them in the ad) and put a price on it that I thought would move it fast as it was in the way. It was gone within a week and had quite a few calls. IMHO stripping it down will probably just leave you with a bunch of unsold accesories cluttering up your space that probably wont fit on your new saw anyway.

glenn bradley
09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Great responses guys and right on target. I told my Dad I was planning on selling the saw. He's gonna sell his old Delta and buy mine so, problem solved and a tricked out older saw will go to someone who can appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-22-2006, 8:43 AM
If the saw is small enough to shove in a corner somewhere you could put an abrasive metal butting blade on it and use it for a metal cutting beater box.