PDA

View Full Version : Download CD's for IPod

Peter Stahl
09-21-2006, 7:38 PM
Does dowloanding a CD to your harddrive take a long time? I have iTunes 7 and it says it'll take 35 minutes to download 10 songs. I used Windows media player and it only took a couple minutes to Rip the same CD. Is there a setting in iTunes I need to change? It also said it would be 354.4 MB, something doesn't seem right. I'm trying to help my brother set up his iPod, I myself don't have one yet. The computer is running XP Pro on a Pentium 4.

thanks, Pete

Tim Morton
09-21-2006, 8:04 PM
Bare with me as i am on a Mac....but for me it would be
Pref/advanced/importing and there you have the options to change the importing engine and the rate. I use ACC and 224kbs for my iPod. Takes about 2 minutes to import direct to iPod using a customized script I have.

Bruce Page
09-21-2006, 8:23 PM
The first thing I would check would be whether he is ripping them as MP3’s and not some other file type.
I use Musicmatch pro for ripping and it takes less than 5 min. per CD. I rip at 128kbps and the average file size ends up about 50MB give or take, for each CD. I just use iTunes for file management so I can’t comment on its speed.

Tyler Howell
09-21-2006, 8:45 PM
Remember the good old days of copying LPs onto R_R Tape?? about 25 minutes per side. make sure your there to flip the disk??
I couldn't standed the intermintant operation of my old 20gig iPod .
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42053so I Upgraded to 30G with photo.
I have 2 disk drives and a DVD on my Dell XPS 6.
I can copy CDs almost as fast as I can slam them the into the 3 drives. About 2 minutes a piece. Hi Tech, ain't it great:D

Per Swenson
09-21-2006, 9:20 PM
Peter,

Nah, more like 3 and a 1/2 minutes. If that.

I have a Ipod and a creative zen. I also have three children

out of college, well two,one completing high school.

I made them give me all their music. The CD's came too 8962 titles.

Took me three days. I filled up the rest of the 80 gigs of storage

Here http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Music-Downloads/b/ref=sr_hi/102-2031238-9252956?ie=UTF8&node=468646

and at www.downloads.com (cnet) I think there are 70 thousand free songs there.

Goodluck! Comercial free.

Per

Peter Stahl
09-21-2006, 9:54 PM
Bare with me as i am on a Mac....but for me it would be
Pref/advanced/importing and there you have the options to change the importing engine and the rate. I use ACC and 224kbs for my iPod. Takes about 2 minutes to import direct to iPod using a customized script I have.

Tim, On the PC version you go to Edit/Pref/Advanced/Import and it's set at ACC Encoder and High Quality (128Kbps). I changed it to Custom and set it to 224kbps. Still got the same results.

Peter Stahl
09-21-2006, 10:00 PM
The first thing I would check would be whether he is ripping them as MP3’s and not some other file type.
I use Musicmatch pro for ripping and it takes less than 5 min. per CD. I rip at 128kbps and the average file size ends up about 50MB give or take, for each CD. I just use iTunes for file management so I can’t comment on its speed.

Bruce, I switched it to MP3 and it didn't have any effect. I used Windows Media Player it went in less than 5 min. like yours. Maybe I'll download itunes again and see if it's any different.

Chris Rosenberger
09-21-2006, 10:53 PM
The reason it takes so long using itunes is because itunes converts the files to itunes format. What ever that is. I installed itunes on my computer about 2 weeks ago because of some podcasts I wanted to download. It took hours for itunes to convert all the mp3s I already had on my computer.

Tim Morton
09-22-2006, 6:52 AM
The reason it takes so long using itunes is because itunes converts the files to itunes format. What ever that is. I installed itunes on my computer about 2 weeks ago because of some podcasts I wanted to download. It took hours for itunes to convert all the mp3s I already had on my computer.

Chris, It doesn't actually convert them to an itunes format...it will convert them to one of about 5 different formats based on your settings.
AAC,AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3 or WAV.

Peter did you actually go thru the steps to import? I would try it and see ...maybe the iTunes predictor is not accurate. My imports ussually take about 5-10 minutes when ripping to the hard drive and 10 songs would be about 75MB. I am importing one right now...started at 6:37 (8 songs 40 minutes of music)

7 minutes and 65MB (donald fagan the nightfly)

Peter Stahl
09-22-2006, 8:56 AM
Chris, It doesn't actually convert them to an itunes format...it will convert them to one of about 5 different formats based on your settings.

Peter did you actually go thru the steps to import? I would try it and see ...maybe the iTunes predictor is not accurate. My imports ussually take about 5-10 minutes when ripping to the hard drive and 10 songs would be about 75MB. I am importing one right now...started at 6:37 (8 songs 40 minutes of music)

7 minutes and 65MB (donald fagan the nightfly)

Tim, I just started one and the first song took aprox. 5:22 to download and the file size was 4,399 KB. Something is weird here. I know that the one song should only take about 45 sec. tops. Song length was only 3:45.

Peter Stahl
09-22-2006, 9:27 AM
I just uninstalled iTunes, rebooted, downloaded it again and now it's working like I would expect it to. Took between 5 - 6 min. to download songs from the CD. Seems to take a while to find the song name in the database or where ever it gets them from.

JayStPeter
09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
I haven't upgraded to iTunes 7 yet because it's rumored not to be real stable. From what I understand it's mostly install problems ... maybe you hit one of 'em.

Jay

Peter Stahl
09-22-2006, 2:03 PM
I haven't upgraded to iTunes 7 yet because it's rumored not to be real stable. From what I understand it's mostly install problems ... maybe you hit one of 'em.

Jay

Jay, I think you're right. When it works iTunes is just as fast as Windows Media Player. But I guess you'll still need iTunes to load the songs onto your iPod. My brother just got his so I would guess he has version 7.

Thanks Everyone for you replies so far and keep em coming if you think of anything that makes using a iPod easiers.

Chris Rosenberger
09-22-2006, 9:11 PM

Thanks Tim.
I had not changed the import file type.