PDA

View Full Version : Where's that woodshop discussion thread?

Lon LeBlanc
09-21-2006, 7:10 PM
I seem to remember stumbling across a discussion thread here about a wood shop teacher in Texas, who was asking advice on whether he should be teaching fine woodworking techniques to his students, or whether he should be teaching them craftsman skills so that they could go to work with local builders. I've searched and searched for this thread, as it addressed some of the many student skills that were improved in woodshop: not just woodworking, but math skills, english skills, social skills, etc.

Very shortly, I am going to meet with the County Probationary Officer here, and school officials, and try to interest them in starting a kayak construction class for those young offenders who are beginning to slip through the cracks of society. I have the backing of two local Rotary clubs, a couple of businesses that will provide financial support, one of my own clients who wants to contribute financially, and the owner of one of the largest teak warehouses on the West Coast, who said we can have all the shorts and seconds we can haul away from his warehouse.

Now, I just need to locate that article again, so that I have some ammunition for any teachers who might doubt that woodworking can have a beneficial impact on young people.

Anyone remember seeing that thread? Thanks in advance for any help.

Lon