PDA

View Full Version : May I ask?

Julio Navarro
09-21-2006, 4:45 PM
I dont want to sound dumb, but I gotta ask, what is DNA and what is it for?:(

Matt Warfield
09-21-2006, 4:47 PM
I wondered too. I think it's denatured alcohol.

Mark Cothren
09-21-2006, 4:50 PM
Yep... DNA = Denatured Alcohol

Dario Octaviano
09-21-2006, 4:51 PM
DeNatured Alcohol is correct and some people use it to soak blanks (or rough turnings) to accelerate drying but safely.

Normally, you want to slow the drying to avoid checks/cracks...DNA helps circumbent that. Ofcourse not everyone attain the same results.

Jim King
09-21-2006, 5:06 PM
You should never feel foolish asking about anything about wood turning. It is a very primative sport yet and the drying of wood falls as much under witchcraft as anything.

This link may help you.http://www.wnywoodturners.com/articles/alcodrying/alcodrying.htm

Don Baer
09-21-2006, 5:50 PM
Julio, Matt,
Dennis Peacock did a very good thread on the proceedure, here's a link to it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34370

Matt Warfield
09-21-2006, 6:02 PM
Don,

Thanks for the link. Honestly, I'm a little unnerved to fire up my "lathe". It's of the home built variety and I picked it up for pocket change. When I clear everything off the stand, err, I mean lathe, I'll post some pics to get some feedback on whether or not it should even remotely be trusted. :rolleyes: If nothing else, I got my money's worth in the angle iron in the thing.

Don Baer
09-21-2006, 6:09 PM
Matt,
The first time you fire it up can be scary, Heck I turned on a ,metal lathe when I got started. The first time you launch a piece will be an awakening just don't stand in the line of fire. Once you get started it's hard not to want to spend all of your time turning and thats a good thing. So let er rip and lets see how you do, don't be afraid to ask questions we all had to start sometime.

Corey Hallagan
09-21-2006, 10:15 PM
DNA is also good to wipe down your turning to remove sanding debris inbetween grits.

Corey

Julio Navarro
09-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

I just couldnt imagine whos DNA would be used to treat wood:confused::D:p

Honestly, I thought it was some sort of home made DNA.

Why does it have to be denatured and not regular alcohol?

Don Baer
09-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Julio,
Denaturerd Alcky, has something added that makes it un-drinkable. That way the manufacturers can avoid some taxes.

Jim Dunn
09-21-2006, 10:49 PM
I just couldnt imagine whos DNA would be used to treat wood:confused::D:p regular alcohol?

That's an easy one, John Hart.:cool: On the other hand the term "regular alcohol might refer to a number of people here:p:D:D

Frank Fusco
09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Julio,
Denaturerd Alcky, has something added that makes it un-drinkable. That way the manufacturers can avoid some taxes.

DNA is all alcohol. Regular alky is only about 70%, the rest is water. Once you have soaked wet wood in DNA, it isn't DNA anymore.