PDA

View Full Version : Needing block plane recommendations

Randal Stevenson
09-21-2006, 2:09 PM
I am still new at this (mostly house projects), but am finding where a block plane would really be usefull (duh). From my reading here, I have determined, if I have one, it's better to start off with a low angle. So what are good USED low angle models? I want to keep my eye out locally, because if I get it online, I may just wait a bit, and buy either a LV or LN.

Thanks

Jeff Horton
09-21-2006, 2:27 PM
My answer will be unpopular most likely. But I say just look for a used one, like a Stanely. Since it is your first one just buy a used one, sharpen it and learn what you like. They are common as dirt on Ebay. Why spend big bucks?

I have one with an adjustable mouth (don't remember the number) and I like that feature. I wish I had 3 or 4 block planes around the shop. I use mine all the time.

Mike Wenzloff
09-21-2006, 3:02 PM
Can't be unpopular when the OP asked about used ones...

Randal, Stanley made so, so many different block planes. Some with adjustable mouths--the front knob will loosen and the plate directly underneath will slide--and ones without, ones with a standard angle and low angle ones.

Main thing to look for is that the body, the main casting, is all cast. Some models were made from stamped steel so in general stay away from those. But you may well end up with more than one as they are handy. So just be patient and look for older ones which look fairly clean and have no cracks.

Take care, Mike

Mike Henderson
09-21-2006, 3:31 PM
The standard low angle Stanley is the 60 1/2. Look for an older one rather than an English made (new) one on eBay. I had an English made one once and found that the blade would not take a keen edge compared to a blade from an older US made Stanley.

The Stanley 65 with the knuckle joint cap is an excellent plane but those go for more money than the 60 1/2.

Sargent made some good low angle block planes but I don't know the number(s).

If you want to go for a bit more money the Lee Valley low angle is excellent and a bit lower cost than the Lie-Nielsen. I have the Lee Valley but prefer the feel of the Lie-Nielsen (it's a bit smaller and feels better in my hand).

Mike

Zahid Naqvi
09-21-2006, 3:46 PM
Can't go wrong with a used Stanley 60-1/2, has all the desirable features: low angle, adjustable mouth and reasonable price. You should be able to get one in the low 30s/high 20s range on the electronic bay.

Alain Tellier
09-21-2006, 4:18 PM
Ditto for a used one. You will learn a lot about it while tuning it. A low angle block plane such as the Stanley 60 1/2 is a very good start. I have a vintage one I salvaged from the god of rust and it's the one I reach for the most. It's small yet versatile and easy maintain.

May I also suggest you buy a good book on handplane such as "The handplane book" by Garret Hack. You will learn a lot on how to choose, tune and use your current and future toys.

Jay Davidson
09-21-2006, 4:19 PM
IMHO: go with a Lie-Nielsen or Veritas low angle, they both work great, with very little upfront tuning. Sometimes you can find a LN on sale.

Unless you know how to tune up a plane, a used Stanley may have some problems with the sole or lever cap and that will make it a terrible experience, it may not even work. Any well-tuned plane, no matter the cost, will actually sing when you run it over the wood. Great experience. It just may be a lot easier to learn about planing, instead of tuning a plane, if you buy a good one.

BTW: Mike Wenzloff makes great hand made saws and beautiful casework; check him out:
http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/index.html

Richard Niemiec
09-21-2006, 4:42 PM
We all know why low angle block planes are nice, but for someone relatively new, why not just look for a Stanley 9 1/2 which is in good shape; for that matter, a Stanley 220 or even a 110, which can be had cheaply at most fleas and they show up a lot at garage sales. Yes they are a bit more challenging to adjust, but that's part of learning how to use tools; then start talking about LV and LN when you're serious. Don't get me wrong, I paid $125 for a LN rabbet block plane and its great, but I also reach for my 9 1/2 for jobs around the house. My 2 cents.

RN

Gary Herrmann
09-21-2006, 7:07 PM
I think you can get either LV's apron plane or LN's version of the 102 for $75. No adjustable mouth, but $50 or so cheaper than the adjustable mouth versions. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Eddie Darby
09-27-2006, 9:43 AM
I would ask you if the journey is important or if the destination is?

I've owned several block planes over the years and I finally reached the summit with my Lie-Nielsen plane block planes. I think I can appreciate the quality better having used the others, but I would have missed the challenge of learning to do the Fettling/tuning-up of my other planes if I had just bought at the top end.