PDA

View Full Version : Power tool rebates

Jim Baker
10-12-2003, 9:13 PM
Is it just me or are ther a record number of power tool rebates, sales, price reductions? I can only assume the industry may be soft right now. Too bad I don't really need anything right now. Don't get me wrong. Theres lots of stuff on the wish list, but nothing that I genuinely need.

On a related note, our locl Home Depot has a huge display of the new Ridgid power tools. At fast glance, they seem to be fairly solid. My son noticed a decent sized lathe for $197 tonight. The man in the tool department thinkd the quality is on par with all the usual competitive brands. Of course, he would since he had just returned from a training session about them. Have any of you tried any of the new line?

Pete Harbin
10-12-2003, 10:32 PM
I picked up the 18v X2 cordless drill today. Very nice fit and feel.
The batteries are charging right now on their FAN COOLED charging station.

The lifetime warrenty is in effect until 12/31/03 on all Ridgid products, and for the cordless tools that includes the battery packs.

I have sales literature that states, and I quote, "That means free battery packs for life." Obviously, this piece of documentation will be accompanying my receipt in my files.

While I actually have several Ridgid woodworking tools in my shop that have served me very well, the lathe has not received very high marks. It may be a good starter lathe if it continues to come down in price, but not too many folks have been very excited about it's features and performance.

Pete

Anthony Yakonick
10-13-2003, 12:23 AM
I think HD and Lowes may be getting out of the high end market due to stiff competiton. Most of the rebates seem to be on the high end items. While I was at Lowes buying my Porter Cable sanders and router I noticed a whole lot of Black and Decker low end items, I don't think your average big box shopper is buying the high end items. Also with Amazon a click away and a lot more choices can't help.

Anthony

Don Farr
10-13-2003, 6:08 AM
Hi Jim, I have become good friends with Wayne the tool guy @ my local home depot and he says Ryobi is manufacturing all of Ridgid tools now. Go figure :confused:
If you saw one of my recent post (with pictures) I have a shop full of Ridgid power tools and I must say the lathe is my least favorite. :(
I am working on it, trying to make some improvements so it will be usable.

mike malone
10-13-2003, 5:14 PM
The lifetime warrenty is in effect until 12/31/03 on all Ridgid products, and for the cordless tools that includes the battery packs.I have sales literature that states, and I quote, "That means free battery packs for life." Obviously, this piece of documentation will be accompanying my receipt in my files.

hi p[ete
can't find anything on the rigid lifetime warranty....either in store or online. looking at a 12v cordless drill
can you point it out?
thannks
mike

Doug Jones
10-13-2003, 5:17 PM
Is it just me or are ther a record number of power tool rebates, sales, price reductions? I can only assume the industry may be soft right now. Too bad I don't really need anything right now. Don't get me wrong. Theres lots of stuff on the wish list, but nothing that I genuinely need.

Jim,
I need a band saw if your itchen to buy somethin. A jet 14" saw would do the trick.

Just funnin ya, Doug

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2003, 6:14 PM
it really isn't that good of one. I paid less than $200 for it two years ago. I really do not use it that often and I am not sure why. Here's my beefs: the tube design makes it a chore to line up and kepp lined up; the guard used to cover the motor and belt is a PITA to open if you have it anywhere close to theh wall; the stand was junk it is really needed some weight which you can't do unless you build a new cabinet (which is what I did); it is MT1 and trying to find that size other than Sears is hard; finally belt changing is also a PITA.

Now I have turned some decent things, but it is hard to get the pieces balanced so I have to fight that each time.

If money is an issue, I hear the Grizzly lathe is pretty good starter and alo I have heard some positives on the HF version. If you can spend more, do it. I hope one of these days to dump mine and upgrade. For now, it will get occasional use.

Bryan Nuss
10-13-2003, 7:19 PM

I just bought myself a DeWalt 733 thickness planer for $275 on Amazon.com. DeWalt is offering a $25 instant rebate for purchases over $199 until the end of the month. Its a royal pain to have to wait until December before I can try it out!

Pete Harbin
10-16-2003, 10:27 AM
Mike,

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I have a flyer/catalog introducing the new Ridgid tools that they gave me when I purchased the drill. They had tons of them at our HDs. Just ask for one in the tool pen.

The warranty is outlined on page 3, about half way down it references the batteries. I don't think battery replacement will be an issue though. The product guys over on the Ridgid website have stated over and over that the lifetime service warranty includes battery packs. I don't think they're trying to be covert about it. As a matter of fact I think they're trying to beef up as many sales as they can before the end of the year...earnings performance maybe? Regardless, it's a great drill, and I'm considering a couple other tools before the end of the year so that I can secure the lifetime service warranty.

HD is also doing a "rebate" through the end of the month. I'll be sending away for an $80 HD gift card as a result of my drill purchase. Since I used my HD credit card to pay for the drill, I can bring in the gift card to HD and pay off $80 of my balance.

All this on the same day I scored the PC sanders :)

Pete

Don Farr
10-16-2003, 12:55 PM
it really isn't that good of one. I paid less than $200 for it two years ago. I really do not use it that often and I am not sure why. Here's my beefs: the tube design makes it a chore to line up and kepp lined up; the guard used to cover the motor and belt is a PITA to open if you have it anywhere close to theh wall; the stand was junk it is really needed some weight which you can't do unless you build a new cabinet (which is what I did); it is MT1 and trying to find that size other than Sears is hard; finally belt changing is also a PITA.

Hey Scott,

I agree with all your beefs but I need to make this one work for a while. I am trying to add some weight to mine as we speak. I would be interested in how you went about it. I was thinking about angle iron about half way up on the legs and then maybe 3/4" plywood for a shelf, then sand bags.

Julie Wright
10-18-2003, 8:36 AM
If you can only spend a small amt. of cash to spend, the HF lathe is usually on sale for $179.00 . The manager will usually give it to you for that if you ask. I have read many posts that it is a pretty good lathe. (remember the $$) It looks like the Jet 1236. Specs are the same too. However I did not buy that one. Had a little more cash so I bought the Jet.. Got it at Amazon for $399.89
Just turning and having FUN!! :D

Lynn Sonier
10-18-2003, 9:18 AM
Walked by a Ridgid table saw yesterday at HD. The stand rocked about as much as the rocker I built a few months ago.