PDA

View Full Version : confirmat screws and particle board screws?

Randal Stevenson
09-21-2006, 2:06 PM
Are they the same thing, with confirmat, just being a brand name?

I was looking at placing a hardware order through Mcmaster carr, and didn't see anything listed via confirmat, but found particle board screws. I will be needing these for a future project, and want to know if it's just a brand, or WHAT is the difference (don't want to do/redo the project).
Thanks

Jesse Cloud
09-21-2006, 3:19 PM
I don't think confirmat is a brand name, more like a 'type' of screws such as Philips or Robertson or Acme. For instance, you can buy McFeeley's confirmat screws. Don't know what McMaster Carr is selling, but be aware that confirmat screws prefer tapered holes bored by a special bit. I suspect the M-C screws are just regular screws with coarse thread, but I may be wrong.

Jamie Buxton
09-21-2006, 7:51 PM
You can buy true Confirmat screws from McFeelys (www.mcfeelys.com), plus the special drill bit they require. They even package the bit and a bunch of screws as a starter pack. Look under "Cabinet and Furniture Screws."

Corey Hallagan
09-21-2006, 9:48 PM
Like Jessee and Jamie have said, McFeely's is where I bought my screws and drill bit. They worked great when I built my cabs out of both particle board and MDF.

Corey

glenn bradley
09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Confirmat has the wide, short shank that centers in a shoulder hole created by the special bit. Tis helps prevent the shifting you might get with say, drywall screws. They also have a shallow, wide countersunk head for a better grip on particle board without crushing the material.