PDA

View Full Version : Grizz Tent Sale and Sander Question

Jeffrey Schronce
09-21-2006, 1:55 PM
Grizzly tent sale in Muncy PA is this Saturday and I am making the trek back up there. Last time I went I made the mistake of going late in the afternoon. This time I will be there early for primo deals.
The question "What should I buy next?" rarely seems to be warmly received however, I am narrowing the field of discussion to sanding related products as I feel that is my greatest need in my shop. Currently I have an PC SpeedBlok, Bosch 1295 VS ROS, Makita 3 x 18.
My projects are mostly Mission style so I think spindle sanders are not really that necessary for me right now (though when you need one they would add a great deal of accuracy in sanding, not rounding over, etc).
I really like the G0459 12" Baby Drum Sander ($425). This would be great for unassembled parts. However, I'd really like to be able to have the capacity to run completed cabinet doors through the machine. Not that my doors need to be leveled out or anything http://www.bt3central.com/images/smilies/wink.gif. I guess for something like that I am going to have to look at the G0458 18" 1.5hp open end drum sander ($795). Price wise that is quite a leap for 6" capacity, but of course the unit is open ended so I have 36" over all capacity. The problem I see with these units (I have not saw any reports on the Grizz but a lot of Perfomax) is that the unsupported end always seems to dip down and create an unlevel surface. There are adjustments that can be made to offset this, but as I understand it, they go out of whack often. For $80 more ($875) I can step up to the G1079 16" drum sander. I would be limited to 16" width with this machine.
My likelyhood of getting a "deal" on one of these units would probably exclude the 12" Baby Drum since it is a brand new product and there are probably not a lot of scratch and dent machines out there.
Oh, an I don't have space for any of them, so that is not an issue! Also, cabinet scraper is not the answer. LOL!
What is the forums opinon on this matter?