PDA

View Full Version : An Authoratative Answer

Carl Eyman
10-12-2003, 8:50 PM
It is not often I can answer a post with confidence, but this time I can. About two weeks ago a friend and I volunteered to try to revive a Jacobsen more that had been inundated in the June 2oo1 flodd - Tropical Storm Allison for you Gulf coast people. This mower had not been touched since then. My friend is a certified aircraft mechanis; so I was the gofer and he the authority.

For almost tw3o weeks we flushed the crankcase, upper cylinder, etc. etc. My friend concerned himself with the carburetor which he flushed, soaked, poked wires into, etc. Finally, it ran but only would run at half choke, and tended to pulse excessively. It would mow grass but only with high throttle. One had to run behind it to get it going. BY the Way, it had a Honda engine.

My friend kept saying it was a dirty carburetor, (even though he had spent hours cleaning and using carb cleaners) while I thought it was a governor malfunction. Finally we went to a pro. He said he thought it was a dirty carburetor and offered to treat the carburetor in an acid bath for $25. ( A new carb is $100) Guess what! Put the clean carb on and it runs better than it did 2+ years ago before it went under water. I am a believer now. Find someone to give that carb a bath in acid. Carl