PDA

View Full Version : Happy to make your acquaintance

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I'm new to your forum and thought it might be appropriate to introduce myself. I've been reading many posts on this site and I must say how impressed I am with the range of knowledge, level of encouragement, and overall civility of the site. I see work displayed from various skill levels and everyone offers support and constructive comments. Reading through the profiles I find many contemporaries and kindred spirits, but not too many west of the Mississippi! Perhaps I have just not read enough yet!

I’ve also noticed that it is somewhat customary that when someone introduces him or herself that they also offer some of their work as a means of establishing skill level (or lack of as in my case). I am a hobby woodworker with two primary goals for my avocation; first, to be able to reach a skill level that will allow me to build functional and attractive items for my friends and loved ones, and two, to become proficient enough to make a little extra money in retirement (hopefully no more than 10 years down the road).

My shop, through the saint-like understanding of my wonderful wife, is well equipped and occupies a two car garage, sharing that space with the furnace, washer & dryer, and 2nd refrigerator. The pictures below are several years old and some changes have taken place. The Shopsmith is no more, having been sold to help fund the purchase of a drill press, 18” band saw, and disk/belt sanding station - all Rikon. Not visible in the photos are a Hitachi compressor, oscillating spindle sander, and Leigh D4. The bench is an antique which once belonged to one of the master organ builders at the John Wannamaker store in Philadelphia, PA. Solid maple and made in Chicago in the 1920’s. Tucked back in one corner is an Oneida DC with internal filter. The other thing missing from the photos is the layer of sawdust that normally covers everything - I cleaned for 2 days straight to get the shop ready for the pictures - probably why I have not taken any more recent shots!

As there is a 5 picture limit I can't post example of my work here. However, I promise to put some up soon.

Thank you all.

47306 47307 47308 47309

Martin Lutz
09-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the Creek!! Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

Steve Clardy
09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Welcome Rennie

Dan Oliphant
09-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Welcome Rennie, there are several locals up by you on the forum, I'm sue they will pop up soon.

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Martin,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Love your signature - Paul's my hero!

As requested, here is a sampling of some of my work. The altar furniture is made from Lyptus with rosewood accents. I built these for a recent expansion of our church. The communion kit was a gift to our pastor several years ago.

Rennie

47310 47311 47312 47313 47314

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Dan,

Thanks. Im looking forward to hearing from them!

Don Baer
09-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Wecome to the creek, nice shop but it's way to clean and you'r skill level is well beyond that of a beginer, very nice work.

Andy Fox
09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Welcome Rennie.

Nice looking stuff you made for church!

I like the idea of your lumber storage in front of the garage door. When my shop was in the garage (now in basement), that door always seemed like such a waste of 16' of wall space. Does that furnace heat the garage too?

Ever thought of making some wooden Lord of the Rings style items? I've thought about it, but never found the time yet.

Mike Hill
09-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Rennie: Welcome to SMC and hope you enjoy it here. I really liked the idea of a communion kit and may consider one at Xmas for our pastor.
Thanks
Mike

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Andy,

Since these pictures were taken I've added a 30,000BTU Modine Hot Dawg - it hangs from the ceiling just above the door to the house. The garage was unheated prior to that. I also picked up a 12,000 BTU window AC at HD a few years ago - end of season sale. I installed that in the wall next to the window.

As for the LOTR stuff - had not given in a lot of thought (there was a plan for some Rivendell style shutters in a recent WW magazine that looked interesting.) Any suggestions?

Rennie

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Mike,

Glad you liked the Communion kit idea. I made it to fit (somewhat snugly) into a large bible carry-case. I had a lot of fun searching for unique glasses on ebay. The wafer case (forgot the Latin name) and vial were purchased through a local religious supply store.

Rennie

Mike Hill
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks Rennie: I will know where to look for all of the accessories.
Mike

Andy Fox
09-21-2006, 1:20 PM
As for the LOTR stuff - had not given in a lot of thought (there was a plan for some Rivendell style shutters in a recent WW magazine that looked interesting.) Any suggestions?
Rennie

Interesting. I'm going to watch the trilogy again to get some ideas--still in the brainstorming phase, and still a beginner woodworker. Here are some interesting pieces: http://www.middleearthfurniture.co.uk/index.htm

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 1:28 PM
Interesting. I'm going to watch the trilogy again to get some ideas

Andy,

Very cool site. Thanks for the link. The LOML and I (she's a big fan too) are planning on sitting through all 3 extended versions on black Friday (day after Thanksgiving). Let me know if you come up with any ideas. I really liked the chest on the site you sent me.

Rennie

Marty Walsh
09-21-2006, 1:28 PM
Rennie,

Welcome to the creek. It's the best place on the web that I've found to learn and share with fellow woodworkers.

Glad you posted pictures of some of your nice work. Without those, I'd be questioning whether that shop was ever used. It's TOO CLEAN! :rolleyes:

- Marty -

Jim Becker
09-21-2006, 1:35 PM
Welcome aboard, Rennie!

And BTW, you can post as many pictures as you like...the limit is 5 per post, but you can reply to your own post in the same thread and do 5 more. You may also want to check out the thread at the top of the Support Forum about using pictures in-line...very useful!

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 1:35 PM
Marty,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've participated in a number of other forums and became quickly dissapointed with the sniping, etc. After reading a few hundred posts here I sensed this site was different. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Rennie

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 1:46 PM
you can post as many pictures as you like...the limit is 5 per post, but you can reply to your own post in the same thread and do 5 more. You may also want to check out the thread at the top of the Support Forum about using pictures in-line...very useful!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info. There are other pictures I'd like to post as I am anxious to solicit some constructive comments on design and wood use.

This frame was a mother's day gift for my wife. She had the print for many years, but it was in a cheap frame that was starting to fall apart. It's made from Lyptus and walnut. I found the design on the web at an A&C furniture site and adapted it to my needs. 47319 47320

This frame was also made for my wife. The picture is a pencil drawing of her father made by a fellow POW in Corregidor - my father-in-law was a "guest" of the emporer for over 2 years during WWII. 47321

Over all I like the frames, but the smaller one seems a bit out of proportion - stiles and rails too wide?

I suppose it is apparent that I like A&C furniture.

Rennie

Art Mulder
09-21-2006, 2:04 PM
Welcome Rennie, I think you'll like it here.

I don't suppose you would consider posting larger pictures? that was a lovely picture frame. I also like A+C, and Shaker, and lots of other stuff.

best,
...art

ps: very nice job on the pulpit furniture. Our church really needs to overhaul the furniture. over the years it has become a mishmash.

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 2:09 PM
Welcome Rennie, I think you'll like it here.

I don't suppose you would consider posting larger pictures? that was a lovely picture frame. I also like A+C, and Shaker, and lots of other stuff.

best,
...art

ps: very nice job on the pulpit furniture. Our church really needs to overhaul the furniture. over the years it has become a mishmash.

Art,

Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to post larger pictures, but don't know how to. I compressed all of those I posted to get under the size limits. Most are way under, perhaps too.....

Rennie

Jerry Ingraham
09-21-2006, 2:34 PM
Hi Rennie,
Glad you've joined, I'm sure you'll add as much or more than you take away from the forum. There are indeed many of us west of the Mississippi, in fact, I'm not far from you here in central Washington.
I enjoyed looking at the pic's of your work and was shocked to see the communion set! Did you post that on the New Yankee website several years ago? I saw one there, haven't been able to find it again and really want to build one for my pastor. I particularly am interested in your source for the element containers. If this is the same one, I'm astonished at the coincedence!
Either way, great to have you here and look forward to your input.
Jerry

Art Mulder
09-21-2006, 3:12 PM
Art,

Thanks for the compliment. I'd love to post larger pictures, but don't know how to. I compressed all of those I posted to get under the size limits. Most are way under, perhaps too.....

There is a tutorial, and related notes, over on the Support Forum.

Basically, I find that if I scale my pictures to 800x600, and save as a jpeg with the quality set to "85%", then the picture usuall fall under the 110k limit.

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 3:25 PM
Hi Jerry,

I hope I live up to expectations! You have a keen eye and a teriffic memory. Yes, the communion kit on NYW is mine. In fact, it is exactly the same picture. I'm flattered that it made such an impression.

I'm in the Boise area - been through Yakima a few times. Perhaps we'll meet up at a WW show someday. I'm going to attempt to make it to the Denver show this year, combining it with a visit to my daughter's. I've been to the Portland show once, but their schedule and mine have been out of sync for several years. Never made it to the Seattle show.

Rennie

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 3:39 PM
There is a tutorial, and related notes, over on the Support Forum.

Basically, I find that if I scale my pictures to 800x600, and save as a jpeg with the quality set to "85%", then the picture usuall fall under the 110k limit.

OK, let's see if this works!

Thanks.47322

Troy Wilkins
09-21-2006, 9:17 PM
Welcome aboard. It is always good to see a fellow Idahoan around here.

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 9:19 PM
Hi Troy!

How are things on the other side of the state? I was starting to wonder if there were any other Idahoans here.

Rennie

Corey Hallagan
09-21-2006, 9:41 PM
Welcome to SMC. Man what a beautiful shop! I am envious. Look forward to more.

Corey

Art Mulder
09-21-2006, 9:56 PM
OK, let's see if this works!

Worked like a charm, eh?

Roy Wall
09-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Rennie,

Welcome to SMC....!

You've got a nice shop and your workmanship is excellent.
Nice A&C work!!

1) Is your shop floor a painted epoxy?
2) Do you have a favorite method for making the ebony plugs?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Rennie..............Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine! Neat place to exchange information, ideas and opinions! Nice to see another fellow Idahoan around the site! I've had a hard time convincing this bunch that we do have Fedex and the Pony Express stopped running here around 1996!:D

Nice shop and you are well above the "beginner" level in woodworking! If you are in the Lewiston area..........give me a call....I"m in the phone book.

Again.............Welcome!

BTW.........stay away from the turner's forum....those idiots will shove you into the vortex!

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Welcome to SMC. Man what a beautiful shop! I am envious. Look forward to more.

Corey

Corey,

If it always looked that good I'd never get anything done! Thanks for the compliment!

Rennie

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Rennie,

1) Is your shop floor a painted epoxy?
2) Do you have a favorite method for making the ebony plugs?

Roy,

Yes on the epoxy. Easy to clean and it reflects a lot of light. I would add something to increase traction if I were to ever do it again.

As for the ebony, wish I could afford it! The plugs on the altar furniture are rosewood. I used some blood red dye to even out the color between different purchases. The plugs on the frame are walnut. What I've been doing up till now is using my disc sander to achieve the pyramid shape on the end of a long piece, and then cutting it to length on the BS. Not the fastest way to do it! As for the holes, I drill a hole 1/32 smaller than the peg and then use a mortising chisel and mallet to square it up. I taper the base of the plug slightly, add a drop of glue, and bang it home.

Darrell Peart's new book on G&G shop techniques has a few tricks I will try on my next piece.

Rennie

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Rennie.........Nice to see another fellow Idahoan around the site! I've had a hard time convincing this bunch that we do have Fedex and the Pony Express stopped running here around 1996!:D

Nice shop and you are well above the "beginner" level in woodworking! If you are in the Lewiston area..........give me a call....I"m in the phone book.

Hello Ken,

Yes, the last pony express rider came though here about 10 years ago. They'er now talking about getting rid of the steam engines!

I don't get up to Lewiston often, but I'll be sure to take you up on your offer next time I do.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm learning a lot as I go. It's slow, but a great deal of fun.

Rennie

PS. I'll watch out for the turners!

glenn bradley
09-21-2006, 10:49 PM
First off Rennie, welcome! Very nice shop and some very nice work. I'm about as west of the Mississippi as you can get without getting wet; Southern Cal.

I'm sure you'll find, as I have, that this is a supportive, sharing site. I've learned a bunch from these folks and hopefully helped a few of them by accident. We'll all enjoy seeing more of your work and sharing ours.

Rennie Heuer
09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks Glenn,

I've tried to read every post over the past few days. You are right on both counts. It's a great site populated by great people, and I have already learned a few things.

Rennie

Jay Knoll
09-22-2006, 5:59 AM
Welcome Rennie

Great looking work, and a wonderful shop, thanks for the posts

Jay

Rennie Heuer
09-22-2006, 7:56 AM
Welcome Rennie

Great looking work, and a wonderful shop, thanks for the posts

Jay
Thanks Jay. It's great to be here!

tod evans
09-22-2006, 8:13 AM
welcome rennie!

Rennie Heuer
09-22-2006, 8:16 AM
Thanks Todd! Wish I had a picture of my 1951 Chevy convertible to share with you - too long ago to think about..... Wow, had forgotten how long ago that was!

Dave Shively
09-22-2006, 9:05 AM
Rennie, I too welcome you to the Creek. I am fairly new myself here and have been enjoying it very much and I'm sure you will also. There is a wealth of info here as well as some very helpful people.

Dave,

P.S. Nice shop.

Rennie Heuer
09-22-2006, 9:22 AM
Rennie, I too welcome you to the Creek. I am fairly new myself here and have been enjoying it very much and I'm sure you will also. There is a wealth of info here as well as some very helpful people.

Dave,

P.S. Nice shop.
Thanks Dave. The welcome here certainly has been warm. I'm already enjoying my time here and I'm picking up a lot of good information as well.

Rennie

Russ Massery
09-22-2006, 9:33 AM
Love the Arts & Crafts/ Green and Green inspired furiture you made.A personal favorite of mine. I currently working on a Stickley sytle dinning table myself. I totally agree with your opening comments. So welcome to SMC.

Rennie Heuer
09-22-2006, 9:46 AM
Love the Arts & Crafts/ Green and Green inspired furiture you made.A personal favorite of mine. I currently working on a Stickley sytle dinning table myself.

Hi Russ and thanks.

I've been in love with the A&C style since before I knew it was a style! Two visits to the Gamble house some years back only reinforced my admiration for the style and the philosophy behind it.

I'd love to see some "work in progress" photos of your table. There is a Stickly bench project in my future, some time early next year perhaps. The LOML would also like a dinning table....someday.

Rennie

PS. Have you seen the new book by Darrel Peart (Greene & Greene: Design elements for the workshop)? Really good and useful information.

lou sansone
09-22-2006, 9:57 AM
welcome to the creek

it is a family friendly place ... a lot of great craftspersons and advise

lou

Russ Massery
09-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Rennie, Here a link of some progress pics I posted.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41961