PDA

View Full Version : Just one bandsaw...........?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-21-2006, 6:18 AM
Many of you may know that I own a VERY good old Hitachi resaw bandsaw, I call it big blue.

I've been looking for a good 14" bandsaw, but they are hard to come buy here, and the new ones are not cheap.

Recently on auction here, I've seen some nice older BIG bandsaws, like this one............

Not the greatest pics, I know, but it is big and old, but the owner says it still works fine, and the company that made it is still in business.

This one is for sale for about $400, less than half of what a Delta 14" would cost me here, but, it is up in Hokkaido, so the shipping would be LOTS.

The thing is, this type of larger older saw, it would do everything I want it to from resawing to cutting curves, with a thin blade, right? Big Blue cannot really be converted over to a thin blade, as the wheels are flat, and steel, no tires, and the guides are not anything like I would need for a thin blade.

So, I was thinking that I could sell Big Blue :eek: and use the funds from that to buy one of these big saws when they come on auction. I was also thinking of moving the Band saw to the center of the shop, and putting my TS on a shelf, or under one, as I don't use it often, except for use as a table for stuff :rolleyes:

So, what do you think?

I use my Festool TS55 for breaking down sheet goods.

Art Mulder
09-21-2006, 6:29 AM
How about the loss of vertical space? Right now there is a bench +TS in the middle of your shop, which has clear air above it. Buy one of these and you've lost that. How would that impact moving stock around? Shuffling parts? etc? That seems like the biggest impact to me.

Matt Warfield
09-21-2006, 7:12 AM
Ya gotta keep big blue. I would be very surprised if you could get the same quality cut out of the little guy when you're pushing your next bunch of logs through. I agree with Art on vertical space and wouldn't have even crossed my mind until I dinged the first board as I swung it around.

Matt

lou sansone
09-21-2006, 8:40 AM
looks like a great band saw... I think a much better choice than the hobart . it will do what you want

lou

09-21-2006, 8:59 AM
Art and Matt, good points for sure, but I do not use long boards much, except when I buy rough long stock, and that usually gets cut down to length fairly soon on the SCMS. One thing about putting it in the middle of the shop, is I would be able to use it much easier, as the middle of the shop has more in-feed and out-feed space (if that makes sense). Where Big Blue is parked now, the in-feed is lacking, which means I have to move it out into the middle of the shop to use it........

I don't think the vertical thing would be much of a problem, you cannot see it easily in pics, but I started to build an overhead blade guard for the TS, there is a piece of tubing about 1" square that is in the vertical space right now (Gave up on the guard, as I could only find normal Plexiglas here, you know, the explode on impact stuff, for the guard) and I don't find I bump into it at all.

The saw that would replace Big Blue, would not be a little saw, but an old monster of some sort, one went on auction not long ago, maybe 24" or bigger wheels, 3 phase (which I have) and even a blower on it for DC and it went for less than I paid for Big Blue....... not many customers for them I guess. I think that with a variety of blades, it would do everything I want it too.....?

I know it would be a challenge to get it down into the Dungeon, I'd have to take it apart, at least the wheels and motor off, but I do have a 1 ton chain hoist ;) :D

The thing I use the TS for the most now is the 8" stacked dado, that can still happen with the saw on a stand.

I'm just thinking out loud here for now............ :rolleyes:

Jeff Horton
09-21-2006, 9:13 AM
Like others I would hate to give up Blue, but how often do you use it? I doubt anything will do as good a job resawing as it does.

However, I have the Griz 14" and I can resaw on it with no problem. It took some time to learn to adjust everything on it but now I resaw fairly often and it cuts straight as I could as for. I have the 1/2" or 3/4" blade (what ever it's max size is) but I have been using a 3/8" for most everything. I do have a really tiny 3/16" blade and it cuts like a scroll saw. So, I don't see why what your proposing wouldn't work.

Bottom line is no one knows your shop and your methods better than you Stu. Besides, I love old big bandsaws! I would but one in a heart beat.

Frank Fusco
09-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Like others I would hate to give up Blue, but how often do you use it? I doubt anything will do as good a job resawing as it does.

However, I have the Griz 14" and I can resaw on it with no problem. It took some time to learn to adjust everything on it but now I resaw fairly often and it cuts straight as I could as for. I have the 1/2" or 3/4" blade (what ever it's max size is) but I have been using a 3/8" for most everything. I do have a really tiny 3/16" blade and it cuts like a scroll saw. So, I don't see why what your proposing wouldn't work.

Bottom line is no one knows your shop and your methods better than you Stu. Besides, I love old big bandsaws! I would but one in a heart beat.

Glad (sorta) to learn I am not the only one with adjustment difficulties on the Grizzly 14" bandsaw (G0555). I love the machine but adjustments are tricky. I currently have a 1/8" blade on it but the lower thrust bearing cannot be adjusted to reach the little thing (blade). It might but there is no room for fingers to get to the adjustments.

Frank Fusco
09-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Stu, wats an SCMS? :confused:

09-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Stu, whats an SCMS? :confused:

Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Cheers!

Jim O'Dell
09-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey Stu...what what's in the blue Yamaha bag to the right of the BS in the first picture?:confused: :D :D :D Jim.

09-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Well that saw is in Hokkaido, way up in Northern Japan, so I'd say it is a snowmobile.

Cheers!

Frank Fusco
09-21-2006, 3:41 PM
Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Cheers!

Oh! I've got one of those. But I just call it "George". ;)

Timo Christ
09-22-2006, 2:17 PM
Hey Stu,
I would never sell the Hitachi Resaw... a bigger machine still won't run a 2 inch or more blade, i think it will resaw worse. Big Blue has a relatively small footprint, too. I'd rather get a smaller BS or a scroll saw for cutting curves.
My bandsaw is 21", 4kW output, permanently setup for cutting straight (2/3 tpi 27mm blade, table doesn't tilt anymore due to special guides..).

09-22-2006, 4:39 PM
Hey Stu,
I would never sell the Hitachi Resaw... a bigger machine still won't run a 2 inch or more blade, i think it will resaw worse. Big Blue has a relatively small footprint, too. I'd rather get a smaller BS or a scroll saw for cutting curves.
My bandsaw is 21", 4kW output, permanently setup for cutting straight (2/3 tpi 27mm blade, table doesn't tilt anymore due to special guides..).

Thanks for the advice...............

Now can we see some pics of your monster saw...........? :D

Joe Mioux
09-22-2006, 6:06 PM
Hey Stu:

While you are at it, selling the much beloved (by many of your internet friends and acquaintances) BIG BLUE, why don't you sell your favorite dog, or maybe one of kids' favorite Teddy Bears.:confused:

You and BIG BLUE are synonomous.

Joe, just given Stu a hard time and having some fun.

09-22-2006, 9:33 PM
Hey Stu:

While you are at it, selling the much beloved (by many of your internet friends and acquaintances) BIG BLUE, why don't you sell your favorite dog, or maybe one of kids' favorite Teddy Bears.:confused:

You and BIG BLUE are synonomous.

Joe, just given Stu a hard time and having some fun.

Don't have a dog :( Kid's Teddy bears, heck one, they would hardly notice, but yeah, it would be hard to sell Big Blue.... :D

Timo Christ
09-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Stu,
my Bandsaw thread is here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25603
recently i made a new guide system inspired by the big canali resaws.. single point pressure guides. Works by displacing the blade a few mm from its natural position. I made a new table insert to use as lower guide and a profiled piece of wood for the upper guide. First tests worked great, much better than the stock guides. I will post more info on this if someone shows interest.
T

09-23-2006, 4:15 PM
Thanks Timo, great looking saw!

I'd enjoy hearing about (and seeing pics) of your improved blade guides, for sure!

Cheers!

Timo Christ
09-24-2006, 6:32 AM
I posted a new thread about the guides:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43285

09-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Great, I'll have a look!

Cheers!:)

Charlie Plesums
09-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I have the Grizzly 14 inch, and loved it, but resaw was a little unpredictable... Split three boards perfectly, then destroy the fourth.

I got a heavy duty 24 inch MiniMax bandsaw with a carbide blade - awesome. Probably a competitor to Big Blue. But I am glad that I kept my Grizzly for curve work. And I never remove the carbide blade from the MiniMax.

My shop space isn't as tight as yours, but it is small, and worth the investment in space for two bandsaws.