PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Jig Questions

Jason Morgan
09-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Just got my new Penn State Industries pocket hole Jig. For $45 it seems to do everything the $100 kreg jig does and its aluminum and not plastic.

A couple of questions though since Ive never used one before. I set the depth setting as the directions state, but should the small end of the drill bit penetrate the end of the piece being drilled? I understand that you would not want to go too far because then there would be nothing for the screw to hold onto. But how deep is correct say for 3/4 material.

Second, any hints for using it with plywood. I just used it to make some PW dust frames for some dressers I am building and they came out alright, but it didnt seem like the screws were seating very well. I was using the fine thread screws that came with it, would coarser thread screws help?

Thanks!

Jeffrey Makiel
09-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Jason,
1. My Kreg Jig does not make a hole all the way thru either. But it seems to work fine that way when using the associated pocket screws and not common screws.

2. It should work fine with decent plywood, but I would probably switch to a coarse thread screw. However, it does not work that well in MDF, composite or melamine. Cracking and bulging are a problem.

-Jeff :)

Mike Burns
09-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Just got my new Penn State Industries pocket hole Jig. For $45 it seems to do everything the $100 kreg jig does and its aluminum and not plastic.

A couple of questions though since Ive never used one before. I set the depth setting as the directions state, but should the small end of the drill bit penetrate the end of the piece being drilled? I understand that you would not want to go too far because then there would be nothing for the screw to hold onto. But how deep is correct say for 3/4 material.

Second, any hints for using it with plywood. I just used it to make some PW dust frames for some dressers I am building and they came out alright, but it didnt seem like the screws were seating very well. I was using the fine thread screws that came with it, would coarser thread screws help?

Thanks!

Jason,
The bit depth should be set so that the shoulder of the screw is in the top piece and most of the threads are in the bottom. For plywood and softwoods, I use the coarse threads.

Mike

Maurice Metzger
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Jason, I read somewhere in the Kreg instructions that the drill bit should not penetrate the second piece of wood, this is to prevent the screw from jacking the two pieces apart when it enters the second piece.

Also Kreg recommends coarse screws for plywood.

I only have experience with the Kreg jig, so this may not apply to yours.

Maurice

Per Swenson
09-21-2006, 5:33 AM
Just a little hint/tip.

When I run out of confirmat screws for mdf or for attaching wood to mdf,

example , frame to mdf veneer. If you apply a drop or two of thin CA glue

to the hole,and let it harden it cuts threads and the hole won't bulge or blow out.

Per

Ben Grunow
09-21-2006, 9:10 PM
Never occurred to me to not bring the tip through the wood. Does anyone not drill through with the PH jig? I usually set mine so the tip just breaks through.