PDA

View Full Version : First lathe

Mike Jones NM
09-20-2006, 9:49 PM
Been looking around for a "midi" lathe for my very own. Has been over 25 years since I played with one and have decided that it's time to purchase.
I pretty much (at this time) have no desire for a full size as the shop is pretty full and I prefer to work on smaller projects.
So what should I be looking for? Brand, model, accessories etc?
Thanks
Mike

Sean Troy
09-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I would stick with the Jet or General mini's. Well made and good service if you need it.

Ken Grunke
09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
The Jet would be my first choice, our turning club has the General mini and I had it in my shop for a few months--there are some design issues but overall it's a very well built lathe so either one will be a good choice. I'm just being wishy-washy :rolleyes:

Don Baer
09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
manuy have the Jet's, I looked at the Jet and the Genearl. I bought the Rikon. It's a real work horse.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
I had a Jet mini for about two years. Beat the livin' **** out of it and it it never failed! Traded it for a Rikon. 12" swing vs 10" on the Jet. 16" length instead of 14". Basically heavier duty. Have had it since December, 2005. No major concerns with it.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Just depends on what you want to spend Mike. If your wanting to do small bowls, boxes and stuff besides pens than go with one of the 1/2 model. Of course Jet is considered to be one of the best and the VS model is one of the best models out there. Price tag can be anywhere from $329. to $379. They sell a non VS version for about 279.- 289. Many other nice ones out there as well like the Rikon. The Delta Midi is a nice lathe as well but doesn't have the 12inch swing the Rikon does. Another nice lathe is the Fische lathe that sells for around 289. I have PSI's Turncrafter Pro which now sells for 179.00 and it is a Jet clone. They have a neat VS version for around 279. which is a nice price. Anyway, lots of them out there!

Corey