PDA

View Full Version : What brand of scrollsaw do you use?

Charles Hosler
10-12-2003, 8:18 PM
I'm retired, and woodwork only as a hobby. Mostly honey-do stuff. I also volunteer as a woodworker for a local Children's Museum. All together, I'm in my basement shop 10-15 hours a week. I just gave my six year old Delta Q3 scrollsaw to my son.

The Q3, with it's C-arm motion, is more agressive than I'd like, for some small/detailed projects I have in mind. I've sawed for awhile on a friends Hegner; and spent a few minutes with the Delta P20 at a dealers store.

I'll be going to a Woodwork show in St. Paul this coming weekend. I have my eye on the Hegner.

Ignoring cost differences in the various brands (hard to do I know); what opinions do any of you have on the Hegner 22V ?

Bob Reilly
10-13-2003, 3:54 PM
Ignoring cost differences in the various brands (hard to do I know); what opinions do any of you have on the Hegner 22V ?I've owned a couple of Hegners,and wasn't impressed with either one,then bought the Dewalt 20" saw and That impressed me.

Keith Outten
10-13-2003, 5:04 PM
I'm surprised that Hegner may not be the absolute best saw on the market. Its been a few years since I was shopping for a scroll saw but the last time I did Hegner was clearly the best. At $800.00 they were not cheap but so smooth it was worth the price for those who were looking for a professional saw.

I know that Terry Q isn't using a Hegner and he would be the one to answer this question...how about it Terry what's the best scroll saw in the marketplace these days?

Tony Falotico
10-13-2003, 5:52 PM
Did extensive research on this subject a few years back, considered Hegner, RBI & Excalibur. Then the Dewalt hit the market, was the first on my block to get one, and haven't looked back since.

Hegner, RBI & Excalibur are fine machines, but IMHO, the Dewalt can't be beat for the money.

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2003, 6:22 PM
I'm retired, and woodwork only as a hobby. Mostly honey-do stuff. I also volunteer as a woodworker for a local Children's Museum. All together, I'm in my basement shop 10-15 hours a week. I just gave my six year old Delta Q3 scrollsaw to my son.

The Q3, with it's C-arm motion, is more agressive than I'd like, for some small/detailed projects I have in mind. I've sawed for awhile on a friends Hegner; and spent a few minutes with the Delta P20 at a dealers store.

I'll be going to a Woodwork show in St. Paul this coming weekend. I have my eye on the Hegner.

Charles,

Contact Terry Quiram about his "Eclipse" scrollsaw. I have tried this little gem at two BBQ's and what a WONDERFUL machine. I used to own an Excalibur scrollsaw, but it didn't hold to to normal use as a hobbiest and now I can't get parts at a reasonable price for it. The Eclipse is a TRUE vertical cutting saw and is vibration free. This thing is S-W-E-E-T!!!!!

Terry Quiram
10-14-2003, 7:07 AM
You guys are right. Up until Ernie Mellon made the Eclispe, Hegner was the best on the market. I know cause I owned two. The Eclispe is twice, if not more than the Hegner. Give Ernie a call he will tell you all about it. 804-779-2478