PDA

View Full Version : New Jet Grinder

Michael Gibbons
09-20-2006, 8:28 PM
Whats up with that?:confused: It looks like a Tormek aside from the paint. I think I'll stay with my green machine:D

Mike Cutler
09-20-2006, 8:38 PM
Whats up with that?:confused: It looks like a Tormek aside from the paint. I think I'll stay with my green machine:D

I think someone theorized that the patent ran out on the Tormek, and Jet is making them now. Just speculation though.

I didn't understand why Jet's model is the same price as the Tormek. Rumor has it that Jet will drop the price. Couldn't prove it today. Both were the same price when I looked at them earlier. Hopefully the price drops on both of them

Gary Keedwell
09-20-2006, 8:44 PM
For a long time the Jet was $100 cheaper and they were giving rebates to those who paid full price. ( I think......don't quote me though) lol

Gary K.

Eddie Darby
09-21-2006, 3:18 AM
"Whats up with that?:confused: It looks like a Tormek aside from the paint. I think I'll stay with my green machine:D"
==========================
Yes I would stick with my Tormek too, since the improvements in the Jet in my opinion are not great enough to trade up. That would be bigger water tray with fully enclosed body/frame for splash control, higher RPM 150 vs. 90 etc.
The new jigs that Jet offers, do interest me though since they will work on my Tormek. One, designed by Ernie Conover, allows you to put a camber on plane irons, which is nice. Some others allow you to work on the leather wheel with the same jig settings, most Tormek owners just free hand it, while another will let you work on the side of the grinding wheel.
It sure will be nice to hear what new Jet owners will be saying in a few months time. I see it as a win/win situation for the consumer either way! :)

------------------
Another thread here on Jet:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42656

from that thread:

"I was in Woodcraft yesterday looking at the Jet and saw that it has been reduced from $399 to $299. The Woodcraft guy said this is NOT a sale, but a new price. He also said that anyone who bought one at the original $399 can get a $100 gift certificate from Woodcraft."
------------------

------------------
"I didn't understand why Jet's model is the same price as the Tormek. Rumor has it that Jet will drop the price. Couldn't prove it today. Both were the same price when I looked at them earlier. Hopefully the price drops on both of them"
========================

I've heard that Woodcraft have bought all of the Jet Water Wheels that have been produced so far.

From Woodcraft site:
"JET Slow Speed Wet Sharpener Model 708015WCK

New Low Price $299.99 PLUS When You Purchase A Jet Slow Speed Wet Sharpener—You Receive a FREE 2 Drawer Base, Support Arm Extension & Machine Cover—$140 Value! "

Chris Barton
09-21-2006, 7:01 AM
Mike,

I too have the Tormek but, for someone looking for a new grinder this is a great machine. This topic was debated in this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40372

I spent a fair amount of time at the Jet booth at IWF and can tell you that Jet's new philosophy is to go after every paten that begins to open up our there and either improve the original or redesign. Another example of this is their Bessy copied Jet bar clamps. They are far superior to Bessys and are currently available at Rockler in sets for less than half the price of Bessys. At set which includes 2 40" and 2 24" clamps, with all the extra pieces (bench dog attachments, and cross blocks) is selling for $99. That's right, less than $25 / clamp.

According to the folks I talked to there the thinking heading forward out of WMH is that the Jet brand is to be their primary offering of tools aimed at the serious hobbiest user that wants high quality and all the bells and whistles. Thye plan to do this by revamping their line to be the most innovative of the offerings at this price range.

Alan Turner
09-21-2006, 7:23 AM
Chris,
Interesting. Did Jet comment on a riving knife for the TS? I do know of the PM2000.

Jeff Farris
09-22-2006, 10:02 PM
...That would be bigger water tray with fully enclosed motor for splash control, higher RPM 150 vs. 90.
The new jigs that Jet offers, do interest me though since they will work on my Tormek. One, designed by Ernie Conover, allows you to put a camber on plane irons, which is nice. Some others allow you to work on the leather wheel with the same jig settings, most Tormek owners just free hand it, while another will let you work on the side of the grinding wheel.
It sure will be nice to hear what new Jet owners will be saying in a few months time. I see it as a win/win situation for the consumer either way! :)

Just to make sure that the differences are crystal clear, the motor on the Jet is not rated as totally enclosed. They have placed plastic sides on the frame of the machine to protect the motor from water infiltration. The TORMEK motor is rated as totally enclosed and includes a cooling fan (TEFC). The DC motor of the Jet gets very hot under load -- 230 degrees after one hour of use at normal load. The plastic sides may or may not contribute to these temperatures.

Concerning the higher potential speed of the Jet, that too isn't quite as straightforward as it might seem. The DC motor slows down under load considerably more than the TORMEK AC motor. When a normal working load of 7.4 ft.lbs is applied to both systems, the TORMEK turns at 56 RPM, while the Jet turns at 37 RPM, even when it starts at the 150 RPM maximum.

Chris Barton
09-23-2006, 7:25 AM
Chris,
Interesting. Did Jet comment on a riving knife for the TS? I do know of the PM2000.

Hi Alan,

I originally replied to you post a couple of days ago and for some reason it didn't "take." I don't know the specifics regarding their future efforts with the table saws but, clearly the newest catch phrase in table saw lingo is the riving knife. Their hope is to capture the upscale hobbiest to small commercial applications with their line of Jet power equipment. Powermatic is still their cream of the crop brand line. What is most difficult to figure is how they are positioning the Delta product line. There have been theories mentioned that they will someday drop the delta line and fold all their products into either Jet or Powermatic. And it was suggested by some that is the reason some former Delta and WMH employees formed the new contender Steel City Tools. Time will tell...

Chris Rosenberger
09-23-2006, 7:46 AM
Hi Alan,

I originally replied to you post a couple of days ago and for some reason it didn't "take." I don't know the specifics regarding their future efforts with the table saws but, clearly the newest catch phrase in table saw lingo is the riving knife. Their hope is to capture the upscale hobbiest to small commercial applications with their line of Jet power equipment. Powermatic is still their cream of the crop brand line. What is most difficult to figure is how they are positioning the Delta product line. There have been theories mentioned that they will someday drop the delta line and fold all their products into either Jet or Powermatic. And it was suggested by some that is the reason some former Delta and WMH employees formed the new contender Steel City Tools. Time will tell...

Hello Chris,

When did the WMH Tool Group buy Delta? The last I knew Delta was owned by Black & Decker.

Chris

Chris Barton
09-23-2006, 8:00 AM
I am sorry guys, you are right, I remember when Pentair bought them and then B&D. OOPS. This is what happens when you listen to gossip...

Chris Rosenberger
09-23-2006, 8:06 AM
Thats ok Chris. This has been a crazy year for me & thought I might have missed the sale.

Eddie Darby
09-23-2006, 8:09 AM
"When a normal working load of 7.4 ft.lbs is applied to both systems, the TORMEK turns at 56 RPM, while the Jet turns at 37 RPM, even when it starts at the 150 RPM maximum."
=============================
I must be using my Tormek all wrong! I never get down to 56 RPM, which would be 1/3 slower than the 90 RPM of my no load speed. In fact, I can barely notice any reduction in rotational speed at all.
Am I using too light of a pressure? :confused:
Is this 7.4 ft.lbs *normal* or is it used for hogging off/rough grinding? :confused:

I see that my original wording could be taken either way, so I changed it to read like so: "That would be bigger water tray with fully enclosed *body/frame* for splash control"

I would also like to say that I would not refer to the Jet or the Tormek as "grinders", since they do not excell at that job, but instead I would call them sharpeners.

Michael Gibbons
09-23-2006, 8:38 PM
Thanks Jeff, Like I said , I'll keep the green machine, Stick with the ORIGiNAL:D