PDA

View Full Version : How do you...

V.A Melle
09-20-2006, 6:39 PM
Hi-
How do you do a basic inlay with the laser? I attached a picture what are the steps? do I need to convert the picture in anyway to line drawing or something? or can this picture as is be engraved in wood then take a veneer of shell or anything and be vector cut? Im not really sure what to do and I cant seem to find any information online how to do this. Anyone please help. Thank you,
Valerie

Shaddy Dedmore
09-20-2006, 9:53 PM
Yes, convert that pic to vector, then fill it black and engrave into something, (semi deep) then use it no fill and hairline to cut out another type of wood.

That's really all there is to it on a basic level. There will be a ton of little things to make it look better, like mirroring the cut out so the angled kerf makes a better fit, finding the right depth of engraving for different materials...

Use scrap and experiment.

Shaddy

Frank Corker
09-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Valerie,

Take your shape into Corel and do a line trace. You will end up with just the figure, click on it and make it into a hairline. To make a veneer, draw a square the same shape as the piece of wood you intend to engrave, put the new shape that you have traced into the position you want it to be on the engraved part and use the function 'trim' you will end up with a silhouette.

Mitchell Andrus
09-21-2006, 1:06 PM
In the event your engraved area is a bit small for the piece cut out or if you need to allow for the piece to swell due to the soaking of glue, you can make the outline of the engraving a bit thicker. Just bump up the outline thickness.

Test twice, produce once.

Also, A cool effect would be to make the engraved area too large on purpose and use tinted epoxy (Anyline dye and Rit fabric dye works) for a contrasting edge.

Mitch