PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Sad Day in KC

Scott Coffelt
10-12-2003, 8:10 PM
Saw on the news that Schutte Lumber burndt down today. Over $1M in damages and worse than that they had a great selection of exotics. Those locally have seen them time and time again come back from floods. They say they'll be back from this but just ticks me off. To add, this is the third lumber yard within the area to be hit with arson this week. I think they were all owned by the same family.

I was just in there Saturday picking up 60 bd ft of oak. I also found a beautiful piece of Bubinga. It is 15" wide 6' long and straight and flat, with the most beautiful figure. It called to me so for $60 more to my lumber bill it followed me home. I plan on using it for a table top on a serving table. Onced matched with some nice Maple and beautiful coat of oil it should be spectacular looking.

I hope they catch the #@!% that did this and strap them to a board and run it through a planer, pass by pass. This is just not right. :( :mad: :mad:

Jim Baker
10-12-2003, 8:18 PM
What a terrible loss for woodworkers in your area. It sounded like a really neat place.

I guess I will scratch it off my list of places to visit when I am in Kansas City for a business seminar this week.

Steve Clardy
10-12-2003, 8:20 PM
Though I have never bought from them, sad they are having those kinds of trouble. I buy from Paxton's to fill my needs.
So you say this is the third one lately? What other two went down?
Steve

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2003, 10:29 AM
One in Kearny and the other I am not sure, just heard it on the news. I wasn't in KC but close enough. Paxton's is a long drive from Olathe so I usually don't go there that often. Paxton has a better supply (variety) of Exotics then Schutte did (volume of about 10 - 12 different species), but it was still pretty nice.

I'd be a little nervous if I was Paxton's right now, or at least until they can determine who the arsonist is.

Scott Neblung
10-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Scott,

That really bites for your area.

All 3 blazes were to business's owned by the same faimily?

That in itself sounds fishy....who did they PO ?

Just some random thoughts....

Scott

Larry Harman
10-14-2003, 12:38 PM
The first two lumber yards are owned by the same family and burned within about 3 hours of each other. The first is in Kearney (about 15 miles north of KC and the second is in Mosby-about 10 miles east of the first. The son is a County Commisioner and local builder. Common sense says these two were linked. The third yard is owned by another family-not related. ATF has about 40 agents working the investigations. As of this mornings' KC Star, no evidence linking the third with the first two. All say they are going to re-open, and are shipping as of today. On a brighter note, GO CHIEFS! Larry

Charles McKinley
10-15-2003, 2:16 AM
The Earth Liberation Front akaTerrorist!

I hope that they catch those responsible. If it is ELF look for a press release from the left coast.

They like arson. normal targets are expensive homes, SUV dealers, and ski lodges. I imagine exotic hardwoods would be on their list also.

Steve Roxberg
10-15-2003, 9:45 PM
Though I have never bought from them, sad they are having those kinds of trouble. I buy from Paxton's to fill my needs.
So you say this is the third one lately? What other two went down?
Steve

Steve, trust me this is Steve speaking

If you buy a lot of wood at Paxtons' check out Liberty Hardwoods. They don't have the exotic's but on the american stuff you will save a bunch of money.

Schutte burning is a bummer, I did note from a picture that the building that used to house the Cherry wasn't touched.

I welcome them coming back, and will probably give them some more money.

Steve Clardy
10-16-2003, 10:51 AM
Steve, trust me this is Steve speaking

If you buy a lot of wood at Paxtons' check out Liberty Hardwoods. They don't have the exotic's but on the american stuff you will save a bunch of money.

Schutte burning is a bummer, I did note from a picture that the building that used to house the Cherry wasn't touched.

I welcome them coming back, and will probably give them some more money.

But when I was trying to get them to send me prices, it took forever for someone to respond to me from Liberty Hardwoods. Twice while looking at their products at the KC Wood Show, I gave them my info and asked someone to contact me. I finally got on their mailing list, but the prices then were not enough difference to justify going through the trouble to set up a account, etc. Plus their minimum order for free delivery was higher than Paxton's by a $100.00 or so. Don't quote me on that as it's been a while. Ha.
Plus, they did not have a lot of the type of sheet goods I use.
Then I noticed that on their mailings they had all this churchie stuff advertised. Well, now I do not blame anyone for professing their faith, but I do not agree that a BUSINESS should promote God and church in their regular day to day advertising. So after two attempts of trying to get off their mailing list, someone finally took notice aand got me off of it. Now don't get me wrong here, I am not bashing them for this, it's just that I do not agree with their advertisements.
My opinion. Steve

Scott Coffelt
10-16-2003, 2:34 PM
I've not had a chance to drive down there yet as it is about a 20 minute drive both ways, but I heard they were planning on some business right now. They had several buildings, so i am not sure what ones were left in a useable format. I hope the main building is still intact, if so that is were all of the exotics that I looked at were located. If I get a chance this weekend, I will do a drive by. I hear Liberty has a good selection of domestic lumber. I would probably buy from them, but I really like Schutte and try to give them most of my business. I occasionally make the drive up to Paxton's but it is usually for Maple ply as they have a nice selection. I usually pick up some exotics when there as well.

When it comes to oak, maple, birch and poplar I go to Schutte.

Steve Roxberg
10-16-2003, 3:56 PM
I've not had a chance to drive down there yet as it is about a 20 minute drive both ways, but I heard they were planning on some business right now. They had several buildings, so i am not sure what ones were left in a useable format. I hope the main building is still intact, if so that is were all of the exotics that I looked at were located. If I get a chance this weekend, I will do a drive by. I hear Liberty has a good selection of domestic lumber. I would probably buy from them, but I really like Schutte and try to give them most of my business. I occasionally make the drive up to Paxton's but it is usually for Maple ply as they have a nice selection. I usually pick up some exotics when there as well.

When it comes to oak, maple, birch and poplar I go to Schutte.

The price I get from Liberty Hardwoods are way cheaper than Schutte. The last big purchase Aromatic Cedar was $1.40 a bf from Liberty and $2.15 a bf from Schutte. Paxton's wanted $2.30.

jack duren
10-17-2003, 12:26 AM
But when I was trying to get them to send me prices, it took forever for someone to respond to me from Liberty Hardwoods. Twice while looking at their products at the KC Wood Show, I gave them my info and asked someone to contact me. I finally got on their mailing list, but the prices then were not enough difference to justify going through the trouble to set up a account, etc. Plus their minimum order for free delivery was higher than Paxton's by a $100.00 or so. Don't quote me on that as it's been a while. Ha.
Plus, they did not have a lot of the type of sheet goods I use.
Then I noticed that on their mailings they had all this churchie stuff advertised. Well, now I do not blame anyone for professing their faith, but I do not agree that a BUSINESS should promote God and church in their regular day to day advertising. So after two attempts of trying to get off their mailing list, someone finally took notice aand got me off of it. Now don't get me wrong here, I am not bashing them for this, it's just that I do not agree with their advertisements.
My opinion. Steve

im surprised you have any difficult with liberty. ive been dealing with them for a long time. usually only takes a minute to talk to kevin. if kevin is busy usually larry chambers will handle my call.

other than exotics at paxton. ive been buying there "salice" line of concealed hinges. there full extention drawer guides are higher than liberty. i dont buy common cabinet lumber from paxton due to there color matching and quality problem. many of the shops around here refuse to buy from them anymore. i here there better now, but screwed up once to many for the many.

maybe location reflects pricing on delivery. its always free to me.....rebel

Steve Clardy
10-17-2003, 9:22 AM
im surprised you have any difficult with liberty. ive been dealing with them for a long time. usually only takes a minute to talk to kevin. if kevin is busy usually larry chambers will handle my call.

other than exotics at paxton. ive been buying there "salice" line of concealed hinges. there full extention drawer guides are higher than liberty. i dont buy common cabinet lumber from paxton due to there color matching and quality problem. many of the shops around here refuse to buy from them anymore. i here there better now, but screwed up once to many for the many.

maybe location reflects pricing on delivery. its always free to me.....rebel

I too buy and use salice hinges. Great product. But I have found that Baer Supply is about .20 cheaper per hinge than Paxton. So thats where I'm buying them now. And also the drawer slides. Standard or ball bearing. Steve