PDA

View Full Version : 1/32" (or 1mm) thick Holly board

David Fairfield
09-20-2006, 5:05 PM
Hello, I am hoping to find a very minimum grained wood, such as holly, in boards of 1/16" thick. Need to be at least 6" x 12"

Any sources or recommendations?

Thanks!!
Dave

Roger Barga
09-20-2006, 5:20 PM
Certainly Woods has 1/16th inch Holly in stock for inlay, as well as 1/30th Holly veneer.

roger

David Fairfield
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Thank you Roger! I've made an inquiry there. Can anybody else recommend a source for a very finely grained wood such as Holly?

I've been using basswood in 24" x 6" x 1/16" available at the local hobby store, but I'm hoping to upgrade my products with a finer wood. Important thing is it shows little or no grain. Its for miniature scale model ships, and the grain should therefore have a scale appearance.

Thanks again!
Dave

Peter Gavin
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
This is the perfect opportunity to buy a new tool!! :rolleyes: For about a grand you could buy a new bandsaw and resaw any kind of wood you want. And then a planer to finish it and a new drum sander for final finishing, and a new jointer to get the initial face flat and square...... and the list could go on forever.:D

Good luck,

Peter

Steve Wargo
09-21-2006, 1:55 PM
Where are you located? I have three 9' boards of holley that are about 1/8" thick by 7" wide. I'll never use it all.

David Fairfield
09-21-2006, 8:17 PM
Hi Steve

I'm in New York. If you could plane 'em down to about 1mm thick, and they aren't showing much grain, I'd be interested!

BTW I liked the suggestion above, to get a planer etc :rolleyes:

Sincerely,
Dave