PDA

View Full Version : Crown molding with angles

Jerry Bittner
09-20-2006, 4:52 PM
Hello -

I am in the process of putting up crown molding in a bedroom that has cathedral ceilings. Front and back wall horizontal with side walls sloping. My question is with a miter saw how do I cut the angles where the horizontal piece aligns with the angled sloping piece of wood? Or do I need a special tool.

Thank you

Keri Bittner
(Jerry's daughter)

glenn bradley
09-20-2006, 5:03 PM
This may help:

Bob Wingard
09-20-2006, 5:36 PM
compoundmiter.com .. .. ..

get their book .. .. ..
it's a good read and a great value for the money !! !! !!

Richard Wolf
09-20-2006, 5:56 PM
What you are trying to do is almost impossible. Their is no compound angle that will make two pieces of sprung crown meet at a mitered corner under the situation you discribe. That said, I have seen a couple of really good finish carpenters fake it with the use of a soffit above the horizontal crown but I really can't remember how it was done. Maybe Per Swenson can help you out, give him a shout.

Richard

Ben Grunow
09-20-2006, 8:30 PM
We usually dont put the crown up the slope of the ceiling- instead run the crown around at the splay height with a shelf (usually made from the window stool) above. The shelf protrudes past the top of the crown by about 1/2" or whatever looks best.

Another, really easy, condo grade cheapo solution is a plinth or corner block made to allow the wall crown to have a square cut on the end and the sloped crown to end with a plumb cut. In case you didnt notice I dont like this method.

Another solution is to simply roll the wall crown down until the cope fits. To understand this just make an inside corner of crown from 2 pcs about 2' long and nail them together on the bench. THen put them in the corner and mark the bottom of the crown on the wall (draw a line under the crown against the wall-not the slope). This line is the new "height" of the crown as you are going to install it- if you mark this distance down from the splay and install the crown on the walls first you should be able to cope the sloped crowns right over the wall crowns.

The only problem with the last method is that if the roof is too high a slope the bottom of the crown will pull away from the wall which can either require a small tapered filler strip to be installed or might require the back of the crown be ripped at an angle or planed to match the plane of the wall (crown no longer sits with its flat back sides against the wall since it has slid down to allow the corner to work)

All this said, I vote for the first method or none. Just MHO.