PDA

View Full Version : My third box

Doug Jones
10-12-2003, 5:52 PM
This is my third attempt at the boxes that Kevin makes and introduced me to. This one is walnut and zebra wood.

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-12-2003, 6:28 PM
Hey, that's enough of that..........................from here on out...........it's supposed to be ROUND! Nice little box you have there Doug. I really like the way the Zebrawood and Walnut work together...........good contrast. One of these days I will see if I can remember how to do work like that! :p Thanks for sharing the picture, looks good. :)

Ken Garlock
10-12-2003, 6:49 PM
That is a unique box, I like it. I'll bet you get lots of comments on it.

As for Kevin ;) Box:

A container typically constructed with four sides perpendicular to the base and often having a lid or cover. b. The amount or quantity that such a container can hold.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further reproduction and distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

Notice the lack of the words "round" or "turn" .

Jim Becker
10-12-2003, 6:55 PM
I have to agree with Kevin...great choice in contrasting species. Beautiful box, too... :D

Alan Tolchinsky
10-13-2003, 3:17 PM
I agree; great color combo with the walnut. One question: Could you explain how you cut the legs and attached them? Alan in Md.

Doug Jones
10-13-2003, 4:56 PM
Alan, PM me, I think I can help you out.

Thanks for the kind words to all.
I had bought the zebrawood a long time ago on ebay after talking to Kevin. (Always check local pricing before bidding on exotic woods, just so you won't over bid) I finally put it to use and thought the walnut would go well with it. I personally find that the box building itself isn't as much of a treat as it is trying to figure out which woods look best together.
This is the first of the three boxes I've made that I am very pleased with the way my miters came out. If you don't remember I had problems with the miter cuts on the other two boxes. Found out my saw was a little out of alignment.

Again thanks for the comments, Doug