PDA

View Full Version : Hand Router Tutoral

harry strasil
09-20-2006, 2:30 PM
The Bow Saw and the Hand Router are tied for first. To give Mike a little time to make Blades, we will start with the Hand router first Next week.

So those interested should start looking for a nice 2 inch thick piece of straight grained wood preferrably Quarter or Rift sawn of your choice and a minimum 3.5 inches wide and 9 inches long to start with. The Tenon router is identical except the length needs to be a minimum of 15 inches long.

Tools needed to start will be a drill press 3/8 inch bit, minimum 2 inch hole saw or expansion bit, 1/8 drill bit and a 1/4 inch chisel.

For the cutting bit a 5/16 allen wrench or an old screwdriver shank will work.

For the tool clamp and the wing nut a piece of 1/4 by 3/4 hot rolled flat iron is required. And a hacksaw and several files to work them to size.

A 1/4 inch tap and die and a good propane type torch are also needed.

Kinda lika scavenger hunt isn't it, but the prize is a tool you will have made.

Mark Sweigart
09-20-2006, 4:14 PM
Harry,

Can you laminate a few pieces of wood to get to the 2 inches?

mark

harry strasil
09-20-2006, 4:46 PM
Sure can Mark, but if you are gonna laminate you might want to wait till the end to start so you don't have cut part of the laminate away.

This is what the tutoral is about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/router2.jpg

Mark Sweigart
09-20-2006, 5:36 PM
but if you are gonna laminate you might want to wait till the end to start so you don't have cut part of the laminate away

Basically, have the lower part of the laminate be a longer part, so you can attach the handles, and the upper part smaller so you have more bedding for the bit I take it. :)

mark

harry strasil
09-20-2006, 8:14 PM
yup you got it.

Jim Dunn
09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Harry is that a custom made winged nut. Looks like something a smithy would produce. It's real unique looking.

harry strasil
09-22-2006, 2:19 AM
yes, its custom made, I make them in several different styles, for things I make.