PDA

View Full Version : New to engraving greeting

Tim Stamplis
09-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello all! Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Tim Stamplis-Daniels and I literally stumbled onto Laser Engraving while researching buying an embroidery and silk screening business from my sister-in-law. I don't even remember specifically how anymore! I have been very excited about this business opportunity and am currently looking into a machine. I won't bore you all with questions like "Which one is best", as there are plenty of helpful threads on the topic in this forum already. But I did want to say that I feel 200% better about my decision to start this busines after reading this forum! The invaluable experiences I have found in this forum make me feel like I am starting a busines with partners, and not all alone!:)

Keith Outten
09-20-2006, 2:13 PM
Welcome Tim,

Lots of experience here at SMC and folks that don't mind sharing. Before you know it you will be at 2000 posts :)

Bob Reda
09-20-2006, 4:54 PM
Tim,

Welcome. There is a great group of guys and gals ready to try and answer any and all questions you may have.

Bob

Kevin Huffman
09-21-2006, 2:26 PM
Welcome,
It is always good to see more people joining and sharing. This place is an awsome one.

Frank Corker
09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Welcome Tim,

You have come to the right place, by far the best engraving site on the web. Friendliest people too

Tim Stamplis
09-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. It's nice to see a pinnacle tech support rep in here, since it is one of the machines I am considering. Was really looking forward to ULS info, but the rep who promised me pricing and promotion info in my email box Wednesday night is still a no show. For all I've read on this forum about being comfortable with the distributor, I'm getting a bad start from ULS! I talked to a Trotec rep yesterday who said he would send me pricing Friday morning. Not sure why it has to be in two days?!? Anyway, interested in Trotech cause the plant is 20 minutes from my home. So far, as expected, got immediate response and pricing from Epilog. Seems they have customer service down pretty good!

Tim

Mike Null
09-22-2006, 7:25 AM
Tim:

I have been an engraver for more than 8 years and I am one who totally disagrees with those who say the rep is most important. Chances are very good that once you buy a machine you'll not hear from the rep more than once or twice in the next 6 months and never again after that.

Reps work on commission and don't make money calling on sold customers. How many lasers are you likely to buy in your life?

On the other hand tech support is vital and is not the reps job nor within his expertise (with a couple of notable exceptions both of whom are SMC members)

I have personal experience with tech support from Epilog, Universal and Trotec. I have found all three to be excellent. Xenetech has a good reputation as well. They realize that when you're down you're not making money, thus, they are very quick to get advice and parts support to you. It doesn't matter whether your machine is in warranty or not.

Tim Stamplis
09-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Mike,

Is all tech support and other needs, questions, concerns all done through the company after the sale and not the distributor? If that is the case, I agree, the rep is not that important.

You have experience with the three main machines I am looking at, have you owned all three? If so, any notable differences?

I have been calling today to get demonstrations setup so I can make a decision and get this ball rolling. It's just a bit frustrating when you spend a month researching on your own, then when you finally call the companies you get slow to no response!

Tim