PDA

View Full Version : Storing Marking and Measuring Tools?

Dan Clark
09-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi. A few months ago, I realized that I needed better marking and measuring tools for my house and woodworking projects. So I got some decent calipers, t-squares (Incra), rules, etc.

With my collection growing, I have a problem - where to store them? I store most of my tools in sealed plastic storage boxes for protection. But that doesn't work with the marking measuring tools, because they are typically flat, long, relatively delicate/sharp, and I use them constantly.

I'm thinking of getting an extra 26" toolbox with four thin, padded drawers. Are there any better solutions? How do you store yours?

I'd appreciate feedback and pics.

Thanks,

Dan.

Ed Breen
09-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I picked up an old apprentice made tool box some years ago. It stores a lot of the starret stuff perfectly and I keep it up high so the grandkids don't get in it. The box itself is on the rough side and painted black but it cost very little ($8.00) and does the job.
Ed

glenn bradley
09-20-2006, 10:51 AM
I go to the 99 cent store, buy some plastic silverware trays or similar drawer dividers. The plastic won't damage any sharp functional edges. These set in some drawers below my bench. I'm in SoCal so rust is not a big problem but I still keep silica packets in with my metal items.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-20-2006, 12:27 PM
A machinists tool chest?
Or a wall mounted chest?
You can use the new tools to make either.

Jim Becker
09-20-2006, 3:47 PM
However you do it, be sure to store them so there is absolutely no way they can drop to the floor...that really can mess things up!

Dan Clark
09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Sounds pretty good. I'd love to make one of those, but I've little time now with multiple projects scheduled. Earliest I could do it would be mid next year.

I'm thinking about Stanley Proto 4-Drawer Intermediate Tool Chest: http://store.all-cordless.com/stprredst4in.html. Price isn't too bad and it will take up little space under my current tool box.

And I love the idea of silica-gel packets. I'll get a bunch and put them in with all my tools.

Thanks,

Dan.

Steven Wilson
09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't use a metal tool box as I find that tools and instruments in metal storage containers rust more easily. I use a Gerstner tool chest (made for storing machinest gear) that I bought off of Ebay and restored. The chest is great for storing measuring and marking tools and with it being mostly wood tends to regulate the humidity and and avoids condensation problems which leads to rust. A light protective coating of oil on the instruments and they maintain their fine condition, are ready to use any time, and don't have rust issues.