PDA

View Full Version : Second HF...1st collar

Jeff Myers
09-20-2006, 9:20 AM
Well, Here's my second attempt at a hollow form and first attempt at adding a collar. Also my first attempt using analine dyes.
It's Ambrosia Maple with several different wipes of different color dyes like, red,yellow,orange. And the collar i wiped with black dye but it
didn't soak in enuf as when i buffed it, a lot came off and you can tell it's lighter in areas. It's small,,,about 2" tall and 3" at the widest. I know the
collar is too thick for my taste and need to work on that but would love
some criticism,,,,be honest,,,i can take it(i think).:rolleyes: :p
Sorry if the pictures are blurry, i can't get the hang of photography up close like this.

jeremy levine
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I think the colorsd are very good , but could you post some new photos.
I would love a better look at the finsih. I like the forms, but I am un-schooled in the ways of the turners

Jeff Myers
09-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Ha!! I'll try, but believe it or not, those were the best out of a dozen
photos i took last night!:o I need a decent camera,,,can't be the photographer ya know.:D

Keith Burns
09-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Jeff, for your first HF you have done a great job. I agree with you on th collar. The form on the HF is good. Great Job:) :)

Don Fuss
09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I think it looks great Jeff. I really like the form. I'm a little torn on the collar, though. Part of me agrees with you on the size and thickness, but I also think it works with the piece and I like it.

Mark Pruitt
09-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Ha!! I'll try, but believe it or not, those were the best out of a dozen
photos i took last night!:o I need a decent camera,,,can't be the photographer ya know.:D
Jeff,
I'm by no means a "great" photographer, but one trick I have learned has been to set the digital camera at its highest resolution, back away until the object fills only the small center of the preview screen on the camera, and take the shot from there. I can then crop it after downloading and it's a much better pic than if I had shot it up close.

Vaughn McMillan has learned to do excellent photography; maybe he'll chime in when he gets a chance and give you some better tips.

Oh, and great HF! I agree about the collar's thickness, but that is to a great extent subjective.

Mark

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2006, 3:04 PM
Jeff great HF. I agree the collar is big.

Keith Christopher
09-20-2006, 7:12 PM
I think this is a lovely piece, the collar contrasts nicely.