PDA

View Full Version : Clearstream Filter-is this normal?

Tom Hamilton
09-19-2006, 6:24 PM
Fellow Creekers:

While going through the every so often clean up of shop vacs this AM (tap the big stuff off and then blow with compressed air) I noticed the following on a 2 year old Cleanstream filter:

A closer view seems to show some type of delamination going on.

I'm a hobbiest in the most generous use of the term. I would not think the hour or so a week (at the most) of vac time would generate this type of issue.

So, what's been your experience with Cleanstream filters in ShopVacs?
Does the delamination affect performance?

As usual thanks for the info and advice.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, contemplating his strange looking Cleanstream ShopVac filter.

Dave Sweeney
09-19-2006, 8:00 PM
I've noticed a little damage to mine also. I just assumed it was from debris slamming into it as it was being sucked into the vac. I can't say as I've noticed any noticeable loss in performance on the part of the filter.

glenn bradley
09-19-2006, 8:02 PM
I use a seperator ahead of my vac and so only get the finest dust in my Cleanstream. I have not had the delamination experience. I also forgo forced air clean up and just tap. I don't get the filter as clean but I get it pretty darn clean.

Tom Hamilton
09-20-2006, 1:16 PM
I fired off query to the manufacturer and received the response below:

Executive Summary: Don't use compressed air to clean Cleanstream Filters.

Thanks for your interest in CleanStream(R) Filters. The answer to your question is yes, delamination is actually the separation of the membrane from the polyester backing material and it will cause the filter to lose the efficiency and it's ability to be cleaned and recover the airflow for reuse. Unfortunately, using compressed air can separate the membrane from the backer and cause filter failure. The fact the your filter is 2 years old also means that it is out of warranty. Based on your photos below, the amount of delamination that your experiencing means it's probably time to replace your filter because it will slowly clog over time in the areas where the surface membrane has worn away.

For future reference, the preffered cleaning methods are what you describe below; "tapping against a hard surface followed by a hose rinse."
Any other methods of cleaning ( air hose, brushing etc.) can void the filter warranty. Even if the surface does not look pristine white, the filter will recover the airflow for reuse. If you follow the tap & rinse cleaning method with a new filter, you should not experience these types of problems in the future.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, tapping and rinsing his new Cleanstream.