PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for low headroom basement shop?

Wes Billups
09-19-2006, 5:54 PM
I'm looking for some help in determining a lighting scheme for my new shop. I've attached a rough sketch showing obstructions and the real issue being a soffit which only has 78" of head room. I've tried to diagram these in the drawing. I am limited on head room in the remainder of the shop also, so hanging fixtures are out of the question. I am actually considering wall sconces on either side of the door to try to prevent this area from being like a cave.

Is there a rule of thumb to use when determining number of flourescent fixtures and volume of space to light?

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Andy Fox
09-19-2006, 6:19 PM
Maybe undercabinet lighting would work on the soffit ceilings?

Here's a formula for lighting requirements:
http://www.ndlight.com.au/lighting_calculations.htm

I think it generally works out to be about 2 standard 4' dual 40W T8 bulb fluorescent fixtures per 100 sq. ft. I think the general guideline is to space these 2' from walls, and 4' from each other.

Larry James
09-19-2006, 8:00 PM
Wes, I had the same problem - 77" high basement ceiling. I used low profile wraparound flourescent fixtures. They are 2 3/8" deep and can be mounted directly to ceiling. You can't have too many lights.

Larry

edit: Don't mount directly over workbench, assembly table, etc. - you need the headroom.

Jim O'Dell
09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Wes, is your ceiling open joists? or covered? Sheetrock or suspended ceiling? My detached shop has low ceilings, but not as low as yours. But I still recessed my lights into the ceiling joists. Will build the ceiling treatment around the lights. Had to make my own reflectors, and used the 4' T-8 fixtures from HD. You can see a picture of what I did here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&page=2&highlight=coolmeadow+rehab post # 54. I may in time build some wire mesh grills to keep me from swinging a piece of wood into the space occupied by the flourescent tubes.:eek: :eek: :D
My joists are on 24" centers, and the lights occupy every other bay. The shop is 20' wide by 24' deep. the two bays in the center of the shop have 2 of the 8'-4 bulb units. Then there are, or will be, 6 of the 4'-2 bulb units on the other spaces. Along with that I have 6 recessed can spot lights highlighting different machines, and 4 surface mount spot lights that focus on 2 other tools. Hope this idea helps you with your lighting design. Jim.

Randal Stevenson
09-20-2006, 3:31 AM
First, you lucky son of a gun. I say that because my ceilings are at 72" high, at the high points (ductwork, etc lowers that).

Now while I use hanging "task" lights above the benchs, I saw a house that gave me a wonderfull idea. A neighbor, ran lights next to the cross support beam that ran through his basement. As my benchs tend to be towards walls, between the task lights and that, I should be good.

Wes Billups
09-20-2006, 1:05 PM
Based on everybodies recommendations, what do you think of this layout for the lighting? My wife thinks it is overkill but I don't want to be wishing for more once I finish the shop.

Thanks,
Wes

Jim O'Dell
09-20-2006, 1:23 PM
I certainly don't think it's overkill. My shop is 20X24, and I will have the equivalant of 14 4' sections (or is it 16?). I'd say we're planning about the same amount of light. The other thing to remember, is the lower the lights are to your work surface, the more you will need for correct coverage, unless you have really good reflectors that spread the light out better. Jim

Andy Fox
09-20-2006, 1:27 PM
That looks like what I would do. Your shop will be bright with few shadows. You could probably get by on 1/2 as much lighting, but with more shadow areas.

You might need more light on the other side of that soffit, but you won't know until it's all done. Maybe a ceiling outlet near there on the lighting circuit would allow some flexibility to add a light or two later.

Jerry White
09-20-2006, 1:35 PM
Wes,

My shop is roughly 20' x 20' and I have thirteen dual lamp, 4 foot flourescent fixtures. The walls/ceilings are white with 9 foot ceilings. I would call the illumination reasonably bright, but sometimes I wish I had added more. I do not think you are overdoing it at all.

Good luck,

Jerry

Rennie Heuer
09-20-2006, 2:05 PM
Wes,

I'm a huge proponent of "you can never have too many clamps or too much light" in a shop. My 20 x 20 shop has 8 8' high output daylight color tubes. The daylight color lamps, I feel, are very important. Cool white tubes give off a blue-green light that will make your woods and finishes look a bit off and it has been shown that the daylight color lamps actually enhance your attitude in comparrison.

Not always this clean - but it should convey the point. (This is my first post - I hope I have inserted the picture correctly):confused:

Scott Donley
09-20-2006, 2:14 PM
Wes,

I'm a huge proponent of "you can never have too many clamps or too much light" in a shop. My 20 x 20 shop has 8 8' high output daylight color tubes. The daylight color lamps, I feel, are very important. Cool white tubes give off a blue-green light that will make your woods and finishes look a bit off and it has been shown that the daylight color lamps actually enhance your attitude in comparrison.

Not always this clean - but it should convey the point. (This is my first post - I hope I have inserted the picture correctly):confused:

F:\Rennie\Shop\east small.jpgFirst, welcome Rennie, second, this might help with picture posting
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31106

Rennie Heuer
09-20-2006, 2:15 PM
Thanks Scott. It took a little doing, but I think I finally got there!

Larry Fox
09-20-2006, 2:43 PM
Rennie, very nice looking shop btw.

Larry James
09-20-2006, 6:10 PM
Based on everybodies recommendations, what do you think of this layout for the lighting? My wife thinks it is overkill but I don't want to be wishing for more once I finish the shop.

Thanks,
Wes

Looks good Wes. How are you going to switch? 2 switches, 1 for every other light, 2nd for remaining lights, etc, ?

Larry

Wes Billups
09-20-2006, 9:46 PM
Looks good Wes. How are you going to switch? 2 switches, 1 for every other light, 2nd for remaining lights, etc, ?

Larry

Larry, I plan on having the lights switched from 2 switches. I'll probably just alternate them so I can only turn on half the light fixtures if I just need to run in and get something.

Wes

Jeffrey Makiel
09-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Wes,
I have a basement shop with an 84" ceiling. The shop is 26'x17' and uses twenty of the 4 ft flourescent shoplight fixtures that are hung between the floor joists. Two switches are used so I can light the half of my shop containing my workbench when doing hobby stuff in a chair.

Although my shop may sound like it's very bright, the truth is that it's just OK. But the lighting is very evenly distributed and shadows are nearly non-existent. I still have task light near most of the machines that consist of 75W desk lamps.

Two thoughts:

1. An unfinished ceiling (that is, exposed floor joists) are poor at reflecting light. Even though my shoplights have reflectors, the reflectors are not nearly as good as a white ceiling;

2. Flourescent fixtures dull quickly. Buying quality fixtures ($20 to $30 each) will significantly help. But they too eventually dim in a couple of months but then stabilize. But the quality fixtures won't have that annoying flickering and humming as the cheap fixtures ($7 to $10 each) do.

On the positive side, flourescent lights give a lot of light for the amount of heat generated. I would not recommend standard incadescent or halogen/xenon. With a low ceiling, you would probably feel like a 'hot head' and your shop may also become very hot in the summer.

-Jeff :)