PDA

View Full Version : Glue-ups

Frank T Bye Sr
09-19-2006, 5:11 PM
I’m about to build several small chests measuring approx 24”W, 12”H & 10” D. I have some ¾ oak stock that varies in width from 5” to 9”. What is the best way to glue this up to get widths of 11” to 12”? Do I rip it to equal widths? If so what width? How do you deal with matching grain patterns when doing glue-ups?
Thanks
Frank

Bob Childress
09-19-2006, 5:22 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Frank! Hope you visit often. :)

There's a lot more experienced people than me who I'm sure will chime in. But in my case I typically do all my grain matching before I even cut much stock (or I cut it pretty long). Lay my stock on an assembly table and start flipping and turning to get the best match possible. I am also checking such things as trying to alternate the direction of the end grain. When I'm relatively happy, I mark the boards so I can easily line them up again. Then I cut, joint (if needed), and glue (with or without biscuits, depending).

Then I clamp, adjust, and pray.:rolleyes:

Don Baer
09-19-2006, 5:24 PM
Frank
I am in the process of building some case work using 4/4 White Oak, When I did the glue up, I cut everything to length and thickness planed it. Then I plays with the pieces to get the best matching of the grain. If they are edge joined well you can get the grain to look as if it is one solid piece when you are done. You just have to play with it like a big ole jigsaw puzzle.

Ben Grunow
09-19-2006, 8:43 PM
Not a big fan of all the same width rips in a panel. It can look mass produced. Rip your boards to eliminate bad grain if needed, otherwise just joint the edges and fit them so the grain lines flow (the best you can). Good luck.