PDA

View Full Version : Head stock question

Julio Navarro
09-19-2006, 4:44 PM
I've been looking for the attachment that would allow me to put a chuck or a stebcenter.

It seems that I need to replace the spindle completely with a spindle that has a morse taper so I can use common attachements. Or something else?

Does any one have any suggestions short of chucking the lathe (no pun intended:D)

Thanks.
This is the spindle

The head stock

Frank Fusco
09-19-2006, 4:50 PM
You could have an adapter made with either a 1"X8tpi threaded spindle or also a hollow w/Morse taper. Unless you have the machine equipment, it will probably cost you a good down payment on a new lathe.

Richard Allen
09-19-2006, 5:34 PM
The spindle on the Shop Smith is 5/8" and solid. There are many attachments made for a 5/8" spindle. This includesspindle adaptors that can give you a 1" x 8 TPI if you like. There are spurs you can mount in a chuck.

If your spindle is larger than 5/8" then you could have a 5/8" to 1x8 adaptor bored out.

Frank Kobilsek
09-19-2006, 5:35 PM
Julio,
You don't mention diameter of your little stub shaft. Maybe Shopsmith attachments would work.
Frank

Julio Navarro
09-19-2006, 9:59 PM
its a 5/8" dia.

will this adapter work?
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=405

(#124344 down at the bottom.)

I am just not sure if these adapters are threaded inside or not. I know they are threaded out side to receive the chuck.

Bill Boehme
09-19-2006, 11:32 PM
..........I am just not sure if these adapters are threaded inside or not. I know they are threaded out side to receive the chuck......
No, I am afraid that it won't work. These adapters are made specifically to fit the Stronghold chuck and are threaded on the inside and a smooth tapered surface on the outside that fits into a tapered bore in the chuck body.

It appears from the picture that the end of the spindle is a pin chuck. For a description of a pin chuck and how it is used, check out some of the books on woodturning.

I don't know of any adapter to go from a 5/8" solid shaft to one of the standard lathe spindle thread sizes although some have suggested Shopsmith which is a possibility. Also, it would be money wasted to have the end of the shaft threaded because it still would not have a register surface to get the chuck and spindle aligned so that they are coaxial. Threads alone are not sufficient for alignment. Concerning a Morse taper adapter, that is even less satisfactory than screw threads. A Morse taper must run coaxial with the spindle, but if you stick an extension onto the shaft, the Morse taper will have both radial and angular misalignment.

I suspect that this lathe has no resale value so any expense that you put into it could not be recouped. To get from where you are to where you would like to be might cost as much as a used mini lathe and a mini lathe would be a better value from the perspective of both performance and resale.

Bill

Julio Navarro
09-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks Bill,

I went out on a limb here, I just ordered this spindle converter from Penn State: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/l5818.html
and this micro mini chuck: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcm18.html

I dont expect to do any serious turning but who knows...

I'll see how it works and report back.

thanks

Bill Boehme
09-20-2006, 8:35 PM
.........I dont expect to do any serious turning but who knows...
Julio,

I think that you found something that will work quite well. The Shopsmith adapter will be perfect and just watch out for the whoosh sound -- that would be the sound of the vortex sneaking up on you. I predict that before too long, you will be getting a small four-jaw scroll chuck that can hold bowls blanks. Some of the scroll chucks also come with spur drives so that you will be able to turn between centers.

Bill

Julio Navarro
09-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Bill, Ive been advised of that sooosh sound and I think it starts low and barely audible and builds into the vortex most are familiar with.

You got to admit though, it looks like great fun.

I hope to show something soon here.

Thanks