PDA

View Full Version : How (Not?) to fold a Bandsaw blade

Lincoln Myers
09-19-2006, 3:48 PM
Might gloves have been in order here?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7075428382230489484&q=sawmill&hl=en

Kinda scared me watching it, just waiting for somthing to slip...

-Linc

Mark Pruitt
09-19-2006, 3:53 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: He's a braver man than I. Or mabye just crazier...

I've done plenty of 1/8" and 1/4" blades w/o gloves, and even that seemed to be pushing the limits. No way would I try one that big w/o both gloves AND facial protection.

Mark

Bruce Page
09-19-2006, 3:57 PM
Lincoln, I use the one handed method, much easier and the blade doesn't rub against itself as much. I usually wear gloves.

Gary Keedwell
09-19-2006, 3:59 PM
Hi...Not to sound Macho here...but I grew up in a machine shop and learned to do that without gloves and have done it dozens of times without incident.

Gary K.

Fred Woodward
09-19-2006, 4:12 PM
:eek: Kind of scary video. I was waiting for the slip too. To each his own I guess. I'll keep wearing leather gloves when I fold mine. Used to fold them without gloves and never had a problem.....till I got nicked by a TW 1/2" blade that was brand new. Just a little nick but it bled well.

What is the one handed method?

Tim Morton
09-19-2006, 4:16 PM
I am a bandsaw novice...but I never found a need to fold mine...(105"). I just hang them on my PVC drain cleanout. But if I were to fold them...yes i think gloves would be a good idea...especially the second time:D

Lee DeRaud
09-19-2006, 4:25 PM
Blade that size, seems like the scary part would be unfolding it. :eek:

"Thar she blows!!"

Robert Mickley
09-19-2006, 7:55 PM

"Thar she blows!!"

Piece of cake, the ones for my mill are 13 feet long, You just start to unfold them and toss them in the grass. :D :D

I for one whear gloves folding mine, Since I'm an inept clutz and will get cut other wise

Jim Young
09-19-2006, 8:07 PM
Mine just hang on the back wall. I can never figure out how to do it. You would figure with 169" blades that you could easily fold them.

Larry Fox
09-19-2006, 8:14 PM
Gloves!! For me a cup might be the first piece of safey gear that would cross my mind.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2006, 8:28 PM
Folding up a blade with three rings is easy. I've done it with, without gloves.
Try folding up a 17' 1 1/4" blade, 5 rings:eek: :D

I never resorted to throwing smaller blades in the grass to unfold them.

But the 5 rings, yes. Every time.;)

James Biddle
09-19-2006, 8:39 PM
I thought eveyone used the "step on one end and twist the other (with a gloved hand) 2 times" method to fold them. I was waiting for that thing to explode on him and his hands.

Steve Clardy
09-19-2006, 8:42 PM
Several ways to do it. Mine doesn't touch the ground. I hold it straight out on front of me.

Steve Rowe
09-19-2006, 9:07 PM
That is the way I do it but, when doing any blades over 1/2", I always use gloves.
Steve

Brad Townsend
09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
If you've ever had to put a pill down a cat, a bandsaw blade is a piece of cake.:D

Julio Navarro
09-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Better a pill down a cat than a pill up a cat:D

I always had a hard time folding and when I folded my blades it was bu accident and couldnt repeat it.

I have mine hanging though I wish I knew how to fold 'em.

Hoa Dinh
09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
I wish I knew how to fold 'em.
Here's the "one hand" method:

Hold the blade in your right hand (a glove does help even though I've been doing it with bare hand), palm up, fingers pointing out, in front of you. The teeth of the blade should be facing out (away from you).

Step on the blade with your right foot.

Turn your right hand (still palm up) counterclockwise (it goes only one way) so that the fingers point inward (toward you) while pushing the blade down.

The blade will fold into 3 loops.

If you have a long blade, after it folds into 3 loops, make one loop (much) larger than the other two, and repeat the process of folding. The blade will fold into 5 loops.

Jake Helmboldt
09-19-2006, 10:25 PM
unfolding (a big blade) is another story. I have not tried the "throw in grass" method, but it sounds like a winner.

Jh

Lincoln Myers
09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
If you've ever had to put a pill down a cat, a bandsaw blade is a piece of cake.:D

That had me laughing!

-Linc

Mike Cutler
09-20-2006, 5:43 AM

"Thar she blows!!"

This cost me about $300.00 bucks one night.

I was unfolding a new 3/4" T-wolf resaw blade, and it sprung open on me. Came up and hit me across the forehead,and cracked the poly lenses in my prescription glasses. Left a heck of a gouge in my forhead, and my glasses were toast.

I've unfolded a lot of bandsaw blades over time, but this one got away from me.:eek:

Jim Dunn
09-20-2006, 7:57 AM

That's because your putting it in the sharp end:eek:

Maurice Ungaro
09-20-2006, 8:03 AM
C'mon guys, if you own a bandsaw, you should be able to do this. Gloves are up to you.