PDA

View Full Version : source for old glass

Ernie Hobbs
09-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I am in the process of finishing a corner cupboard that I started back in January. It's just been sitting in my shop taking up a lot of room and I'd like to get it done soon. See this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37237

My Dad and brothers all started this project and I'd like to stay true to tradition and use old glass for the door windows. I was wondering if someone out there in the Tennessee or Alabama area knows of a place where I could find some old windows that might have glass that has ripples or the hand-blown features. Maybe a window replacer that saves the windows they remove or an antique store that has a bunch of windows. I'd like to buy a bunch so I can cut my own sizes (figuring that I'll break some in the process).

I'm on a budget so, I am trying to stay on the cheaper side without compromising quality. I know you can order restoration glass but, that is kind of expensive and I'm trying to avoid that.

I travel all around this area for my job and it wouldn't be too much trouble to find an out-of-way place in the course of working my route. I'll be in the Chattanooga to Nashville area and up into southern Kentucky this week if anyone knows of anyplace good. Other places that I travel are Northern Florida, Southern Georgia, and Southern Mississippi. Thanks for your help.

Lee Schierer
09-19-2006, 12:46 PM
When we had the mirror cut down for my son's bathroom remodel, the glass shop we went to had several stacks of used glass. There was some that was old with ripples & bubbles. Check with your local glass suppliers. SOme may even offer new "old" glass.

Another possible source would be stained glass supply places. They have a variety of colors textures and patterns.

I did a google search for "old window glass" and came up with several sources.

Al Killian
09-19-2006, 2:24 PM
You could also try places that salvage all usable stuff from houses. Try looking under salvage companies.

Micheal Cobb
09-19-2006, 4:18 PM
Ernie,

Habitat for Humanity runs resell stores that sell new and used building materials. I know our store (Columbus, GA) has old windows taken from houses, some of which have the old glass. The windows sell real cheap.

Since you travel around you might check these stores. I know Dothan and Birmingham have these stores and there are probably many more in your traveling area.

Ernie Hobbs
09-19-2006, 8:06 PM
Ernie,

Habitat for Humanity runs resell stores that sell new and used building materials. I know our store (Columbus, GA) has old windows taken from houses, some of which have the old glass. The windows sell real cheap.

Since you travel around you might check these stores. I know Dothan and Birmingham have these stores and there are probably many more in your traveling area.

Thanks Michael. I went over to Ken Salisbury's house today and he suggested the same thing. I'll look up the Habitat For Humanity place in Huntsville sometime later this week.

Thansk for the help.

Ben Hobbs
09-19-2006, 9:08 PM
Ernie - You know that you can use some of mine if you need to. Good luck with your search. Dad

Jim Becker
09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I believe that Van Dykes also carries "old glass" if you can't find what you are looking for in salvage.

Calvin Hobbs
09-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Ok, where are the pictures of the Corner Cupboard in progress?

What are you doing for hardware?

Cal

Jim Becker
09-20-2006, 8:41 PM
Awful lot of folks with the last name of "Hobbs" posting to this particular thread... :D Geepers...a combination question/answer session and extended family reunion all rolled up into one!

And Calvin makes a good point...it ain't real without pictures!

skip coyne
09-20-2006, 8:48 PM
heres a link to the habitat resale directory

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore.aspx

Ernie Hobbs
09-20-2006, 9:04 PM
Awful lot of folks with the last name of "Hobbs" posting to this particular thread... Geepers...a combination question/answer session and extended family reunion all rolled up into one!

And Calvin makes a good point...it ain't real without pictures!

Give me a break- I'm on the road this week. :D I'll try to take some pictures when I get home this weekend. In the meantime, just look at Calvin's thread above and hopefully, mine will look similar.

Reg Mitchell
09-20-2006, 9:45 PM
Erni...if you have any shops around that dose stained glass you can ask for "seeded" glass. It is sorta sistorted. has bubbles in it, small little white spots...its great for old look
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/shoppics002.jpg only pic i have but can get a better one if you like
Reg

lou sansone
09-21-2006, 5:42 AM
hi Ernie

I was wondering when someone was going to ask this question. I live in Connecticut where there are many 18th century homes, and where many are eventually salvaged. there is a place in the town next to mine called
"Brooklyn Restoration" of something like that. basically everyone knows it as "Rudy's " place. he has thousands of 18th and 19th century sashes with old glass ( as well thousands of carefully inventoried doors, mantels and other architectural items) . I often go there to get nice wavy glass for some of my projects. pretty much any sash is $10 each. That will yield between 6 and 12 pains of glass.

He is usually there most days. he won't ship or anything like that, for small stuff. If you want to buy a TT load of flooring as some do, he will ship that type of load. I was actually going to go back a buy a bunch of sashes from him in the next few weeks. I guess I could try to pick some up for you and ship them to you to play around with. How much and what size of glass do you want.

lou

Jim Becker
09-21-2006, 9:50 AM
Give me a break- I'm on the road this week. :D I'll try to take some pictures when I get home this weekend. In the meantime, just look at Calvin's thread above and hopefully, mine will look similar.

Consider yourself "broken"... :D Trust me, I understand the travel thing...last week was my turn.

Bob Winkler
09-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Hey Lou, I was looking for some old sashes for an upcoming project. Can you tell me where this Brooklyn Restoration is located, and if he's there on weekends?
Bob

lou sansone
09-21-2006, 6:51 PM
Hey Lou, I was looking for some old sashes for an upcoming project. Can you tell me where this Brooklyn Restoration is located, and if he's there on weekends?
Bob

for those close enough to visit, rudy's place is on Gorman Hill Rd in Brooklyn CT. He is there on the weekends. Gorman hill rd is not very long and his place is at about 12 gorman hill rd. you will find a whole bunch of grey chicken coops that are filled with salvaged 18th century buildings. it is quite well arranged. he has a lot of old iron for fireplaces and doors ( quite a bit of 18th century stuff as well as some more modern stuff from the 1800's ) . you will see a lot of old millstones and other stone watering troughs as you pull in. his farm is across the street, and if he is not there, when you show up wait, he will usually show up smoking a pipe in about 4 minutes. he is very fair on his price and the price he gives you is the price you will pay.

best wishes
lou

Ernie Hobbs
09-26-2006, 10:28 PM
I found a few windows last weekend at the Habitat building surplus store in Huntsville. The manager of the place had set aside the old window, in case anybody was looking for them. I still need more but, it's a start. For $4, you can beat the price. I'll go to some more Habitat places in my travels over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Calvin Hobbs
09-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Cupboard pictures?

CH