PDA

View Full Version : OK, tell me I'm nuts..........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-19-2006, 8:49 AM
.......... I have a bandsaw, a Resaw-bandsaw, it really works well, but it is really only a resaw-bandsaw. I really want and on this last wine shelf project, I see that a normal, say 14" bandsaw would be really nice to have.

I've been looking for one used forever, but have not found one.

Today, I punched in Bandsaw in the auction search function, but I did not limit it to Tool etc..............this is what popped out..........

Yes, it is a frozen food processing bandsaw.......sliding table and all :D

It has one day left on the auction, and it is at 1 yen......

Think this could work for woodworking?

I mean, a bandsaw is a band saw.........right?

Well, I got 24 hours to make up my mind.....

Cheers!

PS I just checked online, the blade length is 98", is that a common woodworking size?

jeremy levine
09-19-2006, 8:53 AM
I bet it would , I mean it clean cuts bone. I'm sure it weighs a ton. As a bonus I think it is more mositure and temp. resistant thne most saws. I've seen saws like this left in cold moist rooms for years.

If that fails sell it on ebay ( joke ) where I saw one for $1600 ( 180,000 yen )

09-19-2006, 9:00 AM
All stainless, sure would be easy to clean up too! :D

I just found one on E-bay...... #140027683426

$1600 used..........:eek:

Maybe I'll have to jump all over this one.....

It is even close enough by that I could drive and get it, no shipping cost.......:)

Maurice Ungaro
09-19-2006, 9:01 AM
Stu,
Having been a chef for a number of years, I can tell you without a doubt that all Hobart equipment is built like a tank. Hobart used to be the commercial line associated with Kitchenaid. Having said that, I can also tell you that you wil not be happy using a meat cutting bandsaw for wood cutting applications. The tolerances are not there, and the fine adjustment functions are missing too. My old neighbor, who was a retired meat cutter, went down the same path that you are contemplating when he was getting into woodworking, and realised too late his mistake. That old meat cutting bandsaw sat outside his garage for a couple of years until he sold it to some guy who butchers his own deer meat.

If your heart is set on it, go ahead. Just offering up my experience.

jeremy levine
09-19-2006, 9:04 AM
Stu,
Having been a chef for a number of years, I can tell you without a doubt that all Hobart equipment is built like a tank. Hobart used to be the commercial line associated with Kitchenaid. Having said that, I can also tell you that you wil not be happy using a meat cutting bandsaw for wood cutting applications. The tolerances are not there, and the fine adjustment functions are missing too. My old neighbor, who was a retired meat cutter, went down the same path that you are contemplating when he was getting into woodworking, and realised too late his mistake. That old meat cutting bandsaw sat outside his garage for a couple of years until he sold it to some guy who butchers his own deer meat.

If your heart is set on it, go ahead. Just offering up my experience.
But look at the PRICE !!!!

Maurice Ungaro
09-19-2006, 9:05 AM
I know, THAT'S the conundrum!!!

lou sansone
09-19-2006, 9:07 AM
stu
the key feature is the SFPM of the saw. what is it? I have a feeling that it is way too slow for ww

lou

D.McDonnel "Mac"
09-19-2006, 9:08 AM
Stu,

It'll work just fine. I've seen a couple of other meat saws used that way (somewhere on Woodcentral, WWA or maybe here). The poster said they use it for processing wild game a couple of times a year so she has to retain the meat cutting functions but has built a aux table for it for WW'ing.

Do you have the space for the footprint that will take up? Half or more of what I use a bandsaw for is resawing and "blue" has that covered for you. Most of the remaining uses I have for a bandsaw do not need much horsepower to accomplish. I'm thinking a smaller benchtop bandsaw (with a dedicated 1/4 or smaller blade) for the limited amount of curvy work you need it for might be better for your dungeon space requirements.

Mac

09-19-2006, 9:13 AM
stu
the key feature is the SFPM of the saw. what is it? I have a feeling that it is way too slow for ww

lou

Lou, it says the rpms are 1425, the motor I guess....?

I wonder if it is belt and pulley driven, if so, then the speeds could be changed.... as for the guides, I could make/buy new ones.....

Hmmmmmm.

Mac you are certainly correct about the space issue, but a small 12" BS cost me MORE than what you guys pay for a NICE 14" so.....

Guess I'll have to ask the boss :D

Jeff Horton
09-19-2006, 9:15 AM
Stu, I just read on converting a meat saw to wood over at OWWM.org. There wasn't much good to say about converting a meat saw to a wood cutter.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?t=19789&highlight=stainless+bandsaw

Here is another suggestion I found from our Resident Throbing Brain, Bob Vaughn.

Small (14) bandsaws run at 3000 feet per minute, medium ones (20) run
at 4500, and the large size (36) run faster. The question is what
speed does your meat processing bandsaw go? Does a meat saw have upper
and lower guides suitable for woodworking? Is there a crown on the
tires for tracking of a wood-cutting saw? Lots to look over.
Hope this helps you out some.

Rick de Roque
09-19-2006, 9:30 AM
OK, you are nuts:p.... Do I win something?

Rick

09-19-2006, 9:41 AM
OK, you are nuts:p.... Do I win something?

Rick

Free beer and a nice Cuban cigar..................pick em up the next time you are in Tokyo :D

Roy Wall
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Stu,

Shelley Bolster here on SMC has a butchers bandsaw used for wwing... you may want to ask her....? Looks good.......did you find out if its close to 3000 sfpm?

09-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Stu,

Shelley Bolster here on SMC has a butchers bandsaw used for wwing... you may want to ask her....? Looks good.......did you find out if its close to 3000 sfpm?

Thanks Roy, I PMd her.

Doug Shepard
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
If nothing else, it's sure to add an interesting aroma to your shop:D and the price is right.

Art Mulder
09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks Roy, I PMd her.

I was going to say the same thing. But I went one further.
Here is a thread where Shelley has photos of her saw:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41415

But here is another thought... you're cramped for space, Stu.
Have you thought instead of getting a scroll saw? It would be a bit more portable. It would allow you to make inside cuts. I know that they are not the same and there are things you can do with the one that you can't do with the other.

But that said, you already have a nice resaw machine. So you don't need a bandsaw for that. So I'm thinking you want to do curved cuts. So why not a nice scroll saw? Can't beat those for curved cuts, can you?

...art

ps: you're nuts. ;) Or are you just itching to rearrange your shop some more? Come up with even more innovative storage methods?

09-19-2006, 11:06 AM
This is simple, my lovely wife, really, REALLY like the Queen Anne style of legs etc.............

http://www.sailorsport.com/product_middle/pid_1370_10.jpg

Like that, and I'm not going to be cutting that on a scroll saw :D

Thanks for the link, I'll go take a look.

Cheers!

PS, I found the current model of Hobart Meat saw, has a speed of 3500 sfpm.

Don Baer
09-19-2006, 11:07 AM
If the motor is a belt drive, like Shelley's then if the speeds are not right it's a simple matter of changing the motor pulley to get the speed right.

Jeff Horton
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Stu, I did some more reading and one of the thing I noticed was comments about the guides. Apparently there is no real force applied to the blade when cutting meat. So the guides are no where near heavy enough for wood cutting. I am sure you could fix that and sounds like it is cheap enough.

Take that for what it cost you. ;)

Don Baer
09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
This is simple, my lovely wife, really, REALLY like the Queen Anne style of legs etc.............

http://www.sailorsport.com/product_middle/pid_1370_10.jpg

Like that, and I'm not going to be cutting that on a scroll saw :D

Thanks for the link, I'll go take a look.

Cheers!

PS, I found the current model of Hobart Meat saw, has a speed of 3500 sfpm.

Stu,
I could with my scroll saw, here a post with a picture for ya.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22537&d=1123812508
It'll scroll up to several inches thick amd ad a 24" thoat..:D

Bart Leetch
09-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes your nuts. :eek: Get a coping saw at least then when your not using it you can hang it on the wall :D & it won't take up much room.

HOW MUCH ASSEMBLY ROOM ARE YOU GIVING UP???????? remember how crowded you were telling me you were with the shelves for the LS in there the other day. My how soon we forget.:D

I know, I know our shops are very much the same size come visit & I'll teach you how to put 10 lbs of mud in a 5 lb sack. In your case it'll be concrete mud.:eek: :D

09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Don, really? I never thought they could handle than much thickness.........?

Bart, get out the shovel, I'll bring the mud :D

This is the saw I'm looking at new............

http://www.off.co.jp/item/img/item/t_2264_a.jpg
Jet 12", only costs 65,100 yen or about $592........

The Delta 14" is MUCH more 94800 yen or about $860........

http://www.artisansspirits.com/machinery/machinery-img/28206-1.jpg

sigh................ :rolleyes:

Don Baer
09-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Stu,
My Scroll saw is a Craftsmen King Sealy and can use blade from 5-8" long. It has a 4" max thickness capacity. It was manufactured in the laste 1930's. Here is information on a similar saw on OWWM.com web site.

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=4574

Dave Richards
09-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Stu, could you use it for the maguro and unagi? :D

Art Mulder
09-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Well then... introduce her to Shaker and Arts-and-Crafts styled furniture instead!

09-19-2006, 3:29 PM
Well then... introduce her to Shaker and Arts-and-Crafts styled furniture instead!

Naw, she has seen it, and thinks it's too........... male...? Rustic, old fashioned....?

She really likes them curvy bits on the legs, and wants a Lingerie chest thing........... one day, yep, one day....... :D

09-19-2006, 3:30 PM
Stu, could you use it for the maguro and unagi? :D

Maguro, are you nuts, boy if you think hardwood is expensive over here........ :eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-19-2006, 3:34 PM
HA I looked at those things. They are tempting. And compact too. Where else do you get a slider?

Alan DuBoff
09-19-2006, 3:41 PM
Stu,

Can't comment on the meat saw much, but you could still cut up meat with it! :p Remember, it's against the law to cut up people. hehehe

You're certainly not nuts for wanting to have 2 bandsaws, one for resawing and one for smaller scroll work, but recentely found a tredle lathe and scroll saw that might do for that type of work, not sure yet. I haven't taken possesion of it yet.

Anyway, I've pondered over a small 14" bandsaw to put a 1/8" blade on, that way you could resaw or cut scroll without changing the blade. OTOH, I don't know how often I'll need to do both tasks so in the meantime only 1 bandsaw does fine. I lust to have both, but need to find an old one, like an old Walker Turner, those are pretty nice. That jet is probably pretty good, I have a Jet 18X that I'm happy with.

Bruce Page
09-19-2006, 4:29 PM
Stu, I’m suffering from CRS right now so I can’t recall specifics, but whenever this question comes up the general consensus is they make a poor woodcutter. Unless you can pick it up for a song, I’d pass on it.

Oh yeah, yer nuts!

Corey Hallagan
09-19-2006, 7:45 PM
From what i have seen and heard of the Jet saw Stu it lacks the power for resawing but with big blue this should be a good saw for hose sexy legs!

Corey

Norman Hitt
09-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Heck, Stu, for the price, I really think you should buy it and see how it works out, 'Cause I'm betting that if ANYONE can make one 'o them things cut wood well, YOU'RE "THE MAN" for the job.:D :D

Art Mulder
09-20-2006, 7:27 AM
It has one day left on the auction, and it is at 1 yen......

Well, Stu???

It's one day later. Did you resist tempation? What did the auction finish at? Do we have confirmation on you being nuts yet? :eek::eek:

Jim Dunn
09-20-2006, 8:08 AM
Did you buy or pass?? Oh yeah, your nuts!

09-20-2006, 8:14 AM
Well, I did neither, I got busy, had a delivery to do, fairly far away, and I missed out, it went for around $120 US.............:mad::mad:

.........the TOS stops me from truly expressing how POed I am..............

Oh well, might just have to buy a real one..........

Heck, even my wife looked at it, after the fact, and said "Oh wow, that is cheap, you should have bought it........"

Yes dear.........:(

Steve Ash
09-20-2006, 8:23 AM
She really likes them curvy bits on the legs

I kinda like curves on legs too, Stu....:eek: :D

Art Mulder
09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, I did neither, I got busy, had a delivery to do, fairly far away, and I missed out, it went for around $120 US.

Never look back, Stu. For all you know, your bid might have pushed it to $450 or some such. You never know what they set as a limit on their bid.

Heck, even my wife looked at it, after the fact, and said "Oh wow, that is cheap, you should have bought it........"

Ouch. Now that hurts.

I still can't figure out where you'd put it.

Next, on SMC! Famed auction hound and Tokyo logger Stu "yes I can weld that" MacGyver -- I mean Ablett, builds a spring loaded, air powered, bandsaw table that tilts down and slides under the other side of his workbench. It slices! It Dices! It makes curvy bits on legs! Word is, the jointer likes his new roommate under the bench...

Cough, Hack, -- sorry, don't know where that came from :cool: