PDA

View Full Version : Performax 10-20 Possible Purchase

Mike Goetzke
09-19-2006, 7:41 AM
I'm going to look at one that supposed to only have 3-hours on it. I'd like the 16/32 but really don't have the space and I'll mostly use it for cabinet door panels.

What do I look for? I also remember reading that the "plus" model has more features. What are they and how do I tell if it's a "plus."

Mike

Cecil Arnold
09-19-2006, 8:36 AM
Mike, if it were me and I was going to be doing cab doors, I would hold out for the 16-32. I have found that having to do two passes (I have a 16-32) is difficult to get good results. You want the table extensions no matter which one you decide on.

Tyler Howell
09-19-2006, 9:45 AM
Mike,
I have the 22-44 and is it heavy!!!:eek:
Check the feed belt make sure it moves along and tracks smoothly?
Does the speed control work.
Run a piece of wood is it sanded evenly on both sides? Is the thickness equal left to right? This is adjust able but a bit of a pain.
That flop the board to get twice the width, is a bit tricky but can be mastered with practice.
Make sure you get the instruction book and the little tool to change the paper.
Good luck.

Mike Cutler
09-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Mike.

Get a piece of MDF and draw a bunch of squiggly lines with a pencil across it. Feed it through the sander, and look to see how evenly it removes the lines across the width of the MDF. Don't be surprised if it takes off the lines closest to the side with the motor, and you have to flip the piece around to get the lines removed evenly from both sides. There are adjustments to correct this

Take the paper off of the drum and place a straight edge across the drum to make sure it doesn't have any humps or dips.

Check to see that the feed belt track evenly on both sides, and isn't trying to run off the edge.

I have the 16-32. They're nice lite duty sanders, but I'm looking to get a General 25" dual drum sander. The deflection in the head of the open ended sander is starting to get annoying. Dealable, workable, but annoying.

Tyler. I never could get that little tool to work for me. I have long skinny guitar player fingers, so luckily I didn't need it.