PDA

View Full Version : Laser Marquetry Demo in Sunnyvale, CA - Tonight

Dave Fifield
09-19-2006, 5:58 AM
Hi Folks,

Just in case there's anyone in the area who's interested, I'm giving a laser marquetry presentation and demonstration at the Northern California Marquetry Group's monthly meeting at 7pm at The Sawdust Shop in Sunnyvale, CA tonight.

Guests are welcome to come along and see how it's done.

Cheers,
:Dave F.

Shaddy Dedmore
09-19-2006, 9:48 AM
Sounds like something you should video. I don't don't really see myself trying it, but if I saw some instruction and a final product, I would probably be swayed into giving it a try.

Shaddy

Tom Radachi
09-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Boy I wish I could attend, but I'm in Nebraska. I second the video idea. Heck, I'd even pay some $$ to see one. My main job is woodworking. My laser was purchased to help with that, engraving my work (pens, boxes) and such. Laser Marquetry is something I'm VERY interested in. I can't even find tutorials on the subject.
Tom

Mitchell Andrus
09-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Steep learning curve, many many hours. I've had my laser about four months. See my initial inlays at:

www.missionfurnishings.com (http://www.missionfurnishings.com)

The next generation will be spectacular. If I can answer any questions....

Mitch

Dave Fifield
09-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Tom/Shaddy, when I get home from work tonight, I'll post my presentation here for you to see. Not sure if I have enough time to do a video, but it's possible that I may do this in the future.

Cheers for now,

Kim Vellore
09-20-2006, 7:45 PM
I was there at the demo, it was great. One more thing that a laser can do wonders. I have a lot to learn on the process of Marquetry. I am going to try some this weekend. It was real nice meeting you Dave.

Kim

Dave Fifield
09-21-2006, 1:21 AM
Pleasure to meet you too Kim. I want to pick your brains about some of the mods you have made to your laser soon. :)

Between us, I think we can figure out the marquetry name tag inside letter cutting thing pretty easily. I'm going to try and work out a Corel Draw script or something to implement the "close object boundary/contour/create boundary/move to rear/select original object/delete it" string of commands/mouse moves that I use for resizing the drop-in piece. I tried to do a simple macro for it once, but it was a miserable failure (I couldn't figure out how to make the mouse move and select/deselect objects in the macro). If it's not possible in a VB script, then I may lobby Corel to add the function/s we need.

Cheers for now,
(still at work....)

Shaddy Dedmore
09-21-2006, 2:33 AM
I may be able to help with a macro if I knew more of what you are trying to do. Maybe send me a sample CDR and a description of the steps. We should be able to hash something workable together. Might not be a complete hands off script, but we should be able to do some streamlining at least.

You can email me at
shaddy at shaddysengraving . com.

Shaddy

Tom Radachi
09-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Tom/Shaddy, when I get home from work tonight, I'll post my presentation here for you to see. Not sure if I have enough time to do a video, but it's possible that I may do this in the future.

Cheers for now,

Looking forward to it Dave, and much thanks in advance!:p :p
Mitchell... I did follow your link and visited your site. It all looks pretty darn terrific to me!:D :D
Tom:cool:

Dave Fifield
09-25-2006, 1:26 AM
Sorry for the delay - been real busy at work.

Here's a link to the presentation I gave.

http://www.sorrythatnameisalreadytaken.com/LaserMarquetry_SMCversion.ppt

The demo (major part of the time) followed this. The presentation is a Microsoft PowerPoint file. I haven't had time to install Adobe Acrobat on this new PC yet, when I have it done I'll make a pdf for people - should be easier to view.

Also, my "online book" on Laser Marquetry is nearly done - I'll publish it for all to see as soon as possible.

Shaddy - I'll send you a private email about the script requirements - I'm sure if we all bang our heads together we can come up with something workable.

Cheers,

Mike Null
09-25-2006, 8:04 AM
Dave:

Very well done and concise.

Tom Radachi
09-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Nicely done Dave. I'm looking forward to your online book.