PDA

View Full Version : Mantel madness

Chris Johnson
09-19-2006, 1:32 AM
As a result of a family real estate venture, I have been turned into a finish carpenter. I am going to be doing 2 fireplace mantels and have a few questions. The big question is, how close to the opening can you put the wood. As in , how much brick must exposed around the opening to not create a fire hazard. Is this something that depends on a local building code? I apologize for the lack of pictures, and hope to post some tomorrow. thanks for any help

Chris

fred woltersdorf
09-19-2006, 4:45 AM
here's one i did for my daughter's house last year.i don't know what the code is but, there hasn't been any problems with a fire going.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20168

Chris Mire
09-19-2006, 7:20 AM
your best bet is to check your local codes. I know here in louisiana, or at least the southern area I am in, the mantle must be 12" higher than the opening and 6" away on each side. I have seen people place them closer, but to me it just isn't worth the risk. I'd check your local code and go from there.

good luck

chris

scott spencer
09-19-2006, 8:00 AM
Sorry I can't help with the codes either Chris, but heat hasn't been a problem with this mantel since I built about 2 years ago....

jud dinsmore
09-19-2006, 8:46 AM
what kind of fireplace is it (wood burning or gas)? gas fireplace manufactures/installers (local company) should be able to answer this question. wood buring is more dependent on your local codes. good luck.

jud

Bob Winkler
09-19-2006, 8:57 AM
I just remodeled my fireplace, which included sheetrock and a new mantle. Sorry I don't have pics yet. A resource I found useful was an ebook that can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.homebedazzle.com/fireplacebook.htm

It's not free, but I found it had lots of useful tips on design and materials from experts who actually do the work themselves.

To your questions, in general, required for mantle spacing are 12" above the firebox opening, and 6" minimum from the sides. The side spacing can depend on local regs, so you may want to check, or play it conservative. I used 7".

Good luck,

Bob

Tyler Howell
09-19-2006, 10:06 AM
I'd pull a permit and get it innspected.
Yah I know, but locally insurance companies are refusing to pay out if it doesn't meet code.

Peter Stahl
09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I'd pull a permit and get it innspected.
Yah I know, but locally insurance companies are refusing to pay out if it doesn't meet code.

What Tyler said. Also some areas the local fire chief can help you with this too. I'm sure it depends on where you live as to if you need a permit, but better safe than sorry.

Jamie Buxton
09-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Code here, and I suspect in most places in the US, is:

"No combustible material within 12" of the fireplace opening may project more than 1/8" for each 1" of clearance from the opening."

Chris Johnson
09-19-2006, 4:25 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will check with the local building code. I also will download the suggested reading it seems helpful. Any other ideas as far as reading material?

Chris