PDA

View Full Version : Just a simple table top

Ian Abraham
09-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Machined this board up so a friend can make a small table for his housebus.

Yes it is a 26 x 2 board :D

2nd picture has a bit of DNA wiped on it to show the colour, give you some idea of what it will look like finished. The wood is Monterey cypress, its stable enough that you can make table tops like this and expect them not to warp or split.

I will try and get some pics once he's finished sanding and varnishing it, it should look very nice :) (I've only sanded it to 60 grit at the moment, he can apply the elbow grease and finish it off )

Cheers

Ian

glenn bradley
09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Looking' good. Aren't our friends lucky we enjoy playing around in the shop. ;-)

Mike Cutler
09-19-2006, 5:46 AM
That's a big board. I hope it's a lighter weight wood, but it looks a little on the stout side from the pics. Don't worry about the residual DNA, it sands right off from my experience.;)

What's a "housebus"? Is it the same thing as a Motorhome here in the US?

Ian Abraham
09-19-2006, 6:10 AM
What's a "housebus"? Is it the same thing as a Motorhome here in the US?

Yeah.. basically a bus converted into a motorhome.
Stout is the right word :D , but it is a type of cypress, thats fairly light wood, and it fits in with the other wood trim he is using.

Ian

Jim Becker
09-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Nice! Beautiful, clear stuff!

Bill White
09-19-2006, 4:27 PM
one big honkin' board. Would have loved to see the tree.
Bill

Ian Abraham
09-20-2006, 5:05 PM
Hi Bill

This is one of the trees, they are old farm shelter trees from a friends farm.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20660&d=1118916906

This thread has some pictures of the whole process.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21381

The trees are probably around 70 years old, but need to come down as they start dieing and loosing BIG limbs all over the place. Bit of a lucky dip what you find in each log. Sometimes it's treasure like that board, sometimes it's firewood:rolleyes:

Cheers

Ian

Jim Callaghan
09-20-2006, 9:29 PM
In this country we refer to them as Bus Conversions, That is the reason I got into woodworking. I bought an old greyhound type bus to convert into a motorhome, and the prices I was getting to build the cabinets were more than it cost me to build the shop.
I decided to do it myself, that way I can get it done cheaper, and if I want (but I won't) I can sell my WW equipment when I am done.
I am about 1/2 done at this time, and so far its turning out rather well, at least as well or better than I thought. I will post pictures when its all done.
Jim