PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mower Problem

Peter Stahl
10-12-2003, 9:45 AM
I have a Honda lawn mower and when it was new the throttle control worked as it should. Choke was all the way up and after it started you repositioned it to the Run position. Now it will only stay running if you leave it in the choke position. I tried adjusting the cable but this doesn’t seem to help. Any small engine experts out there?

Thanks, Pete

Glenn Clabo
10-12-2003, 10:48 AM
Pete,
This won't really help but I've been running my Honda lawnmower in the same postion for 5 years. I start it and run it in "almost" full choke. I played with it for months trying to make it work like new then I just gave in and whimped out. But it still starts on the first pull and has been running for 7 years just fine.

Ken Garlock
10-12-2003, 2:47 PM
Go to Walmart and get a can of Berrymans B-12 carb/engine cleaner. Put about a 1/2 cup in with your gas.

I had a like problem this spring. We have an old Snapper mower which had sat idle for several years. It took several shots of ether to get it started and then only with the choke on. I put a 1/2 cup of B-12 in the gas tank and filled the tank with fresh gas. After a few minutes it started to work better, good enough to do a little mowing. After a couple treatments , several tanks of gas, it was working just fine. A couple $$ for the B-12 is the easiest way to clean up the carb on these small engines, IMO.

I am supprised a Honda mower would give you problems. I always thought they were the top of the line....

Peter Stahl
10-12-2003, 4:23 PM
Pete,
This won't really help but I've been running my Honda lawnmower in the same postion for 5 years. I start it and run it in "almost" full choke. I played with it for months trying to make it work like new then I just gave in and whimped out. But it still starts on the first pull and has been running for 7 years just fine.

Glenn,

Mine starts first pull to. Just started doing this a couple weeks ago. Mine was running ok, but now it's starting to get worst.

Pete

Peter Stahl
10-12-2003, 4:26 PM
Go to Walmart and get a can of Berrymans B-12 carb/engine cleaner. Put about a 1/2 cup in with your gas.

I had a like problem this spring. We have an old Snapper mower which had sat idle for several years. It took several shots of ether to get it started and then only with the choke on. I put a 1/2 cup of B-12 in the gas tank and filled the tank with fresh gas. After a few minutes it started to work better, good enough to do a little mowing. After a couple treatments , several tanks of gas, it was working just fine. A couple $$ for the B-12 is the easiest way to clean up the carb on these small engines, IMO.

I am supprised a Honda mower would give you problems. I always thought they were the top of the line....

Ken,

Thanks, I try the B-12 plus I'm going to pick up some spray carb cleaner. Hope this helps. When you say put a half cup in the tank, do you mean the gas tank of the mower or the gas can? Sounds like a lot for a push mower.

thanks, Pete

Ken Garlock
10-12-2003, 6:43 PM
I put it in the gas tank on the mower. That makes a strong solution to get after the gunk in the carb, IMO. It may take a couple treatments to get things back to clean, so don't despair if the first tank doesn't do the trick.

Peter Stahl
10-12-2003, 8:09 PM
I put it in the gas tank on the mower. That makes a strong solution to get after the gunk in the carb, IMO. It may take a couple treatments to get things back to clean, so don't despair if the first tank doesn't do the trick.

OK, I'll put it in the tank.
Thanks again Ken

Carl Eyman
10-12-2003, 8:53 PM
Go to "authoratative Answer Post for my reply. I goofed. Carl

David LaRue
10-12-2003, 9:19 PM
A couple things to think about:

The reason it only runs with the choke on is that the air / fuel ratio is kuput. ;) (correct sociometric ratio is approx 17.5:1)

Probable causes:
* Leaky carb gasket (too much air is getting in)
* One of the passage ways in the carb is partially blocked. (Choke valve in creases the velocity of the air past the siphon tube, increasing the amount of fuel)
* Bad / dirty gas /clog in fuel filter
* Your needle valves are out of adjustment. (Starting position is typically 1 1/2 turns open)

Some of the other things that can cause run-ability issues:
* Head gasket (loss of power, poor performance etc)
* Exhaust valve in need of a regrind & adjustment (This typically shows up with an older engine with los of hours, and will loose power as the engine gets hot)
* Carb float / Needle is in need of replacement / & float adjusted

Note: I have not much experience with Honda engines, but a lot with B&S, Tecumseh, Kohler et all.

Bottom line,

Take the carb off, have it dunk tank cleaned, buy a carb rebuild kit, replace the stuff from the kit. Adjust the float. Put a new carb gasket on. Replace the fuel filter. Put new gas in it. (change the oil while you are doing all this & sharpen the blade :) Run it!