PDA

View Full Version : Hook & Ring Tools

Martin Braun
09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been hanging out at other forums on the web for sometime. I was wondering if folks over here have any experience with various hook tools? I myself recently purchased the Andre Martel Hook tool, and have been having good success with it for hollowing out goblets & boxes. The one thing that I sometimes don't get is a good clean start at the center. I was wondering if anyone else has any tips they have learned with their hook or ring tools?

Bill Boehme
09-19-2006, 1:52 AM
I have made several hook tools that are somewhere between the Alan Lacer design and the Raul Peņa style. I consider Raul Peņa to be the authority on hook tools and I find that his design easy to use without getting spectacular catches. Getting the shape just right takes some experience and I don't quite have enough of that. I was using a hook tool today that I made which is far too aggressive and so I wind up doing more scraping than cutting with it. I got a hum-dinger of a catch this evening that put a bend of about five degrees in the tool shank. I don't care much for ring tools because they are always getting clogged.

Bill

Jim Dunn
09-19-2006, 8:12 AM
Martin just wanted to say welcome to the "spinney side"

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2006, 9:54 AM
Welcome Martin.

Don Baer
09-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey Martin
I don't use either type of tool but welcome to anothe Arizon turner.

George Conklin
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey Martin
I don't use either type of tool but welcome to anothe Arizon turner.

Welcome Martin,

Another Zonie! We're gonna take over the spinny world!:D

Richard Madison
09-20-2006, 1:03 AM
Bill knows hook tools.
Richard in Madisonville

Dick Strauss
09-20-2006, 1:29 AM
Martin,
I made my own hook tool from some 3/8" O-1 rod and was having difficulty getting started with it. I learned a lot from Darrell Feltmate's site. He has some real nice demo videos showing how to use the hook tool. Try this link:

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hookuse.shtml

Best of luck,
Dick

Martin Braun
09-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Dick,

That link is exactly what I needed! I was trying to do the first method of entry that he mentioned, and I don't think I had the angle exactly right (probably too shallow). Additionally, I noticed that I had some residue from green wood on the outside bevel of the hook, and I think that was contributing to the disturbance of the cut.

Thanks!