PDA

View Full Version : Some fancy pens!

Joe Melton
09-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Here are the results of my first Churchills. They are the Titanium Nitride coated fountain pen kits. From left to right: Olive, Spalted Hackberry (from Curtis Seebeck), Spalted English Beech, Mesquite, a particularly nice example of Curly Koa, Wenge, Acrylic (from Arizona Silhouette, forgot the #), Lacewood, Elk and Corrugatta. I really like this kit, but think it cries out for Acrylics.
The other pens are the El Presidente in sterling silver. The pen has a lot of heft. From left to right: Olive, Bocote, Screwbean Mesquite, Corrugatta, Pine, Elk, Amboyna Burl, Pine, Thuya Burr, and Pine. The Pine is dyed.
The pictures looked pretty good before I reduced them to fit the site requirements.
Thanks for looking.
Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Super lookin; pens, Joe.

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
09-19-2006, 2:18 AM
Very nice, Joe. Great-looking collection. I've also been turing a fair amount of acrylic pens in addition to wood. They are faster to finish, and people seem to like them.

Do you find the fat pens sell better than the mid-size (such as the flat-top American or Perfect Fit)? Is there more money to be made in fountain pens than ball point or rollerball pens?

Corey Hallagan
09-19-2006, 9:04 AM
Beautiful pens Joe. They look great. I haven't tried a synthetic yet....need to do that! Thansks for the pics.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2006, 9:53 AM
Beautiful pens Joe.

Keith Burns
09-19-2006, 1:57 PM
Great pens Joe !! That oneway is serving you well:) :)

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2006, 6:50 PM
Wow Joe, you've been busy with the pens. Thay all look great.

Joe Melton
09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks, guys. Yes, Keith, the oneway did well on the pens. It lugged a bit, but I kept my tool sharp and took shallow cuts. Two hp is enough for pen turning, if one is careful.
Now if I could only learn how to sharpen a bowl gouge, I can make some larger things.
Joe