PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Shop Cabinets....

Corey Hallagan
09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I am remodelling the kitchen and some of the cabinets I am going to be using some of the uppers in the shop. I know I want to hang them on a french cleat, however not sure what is the best way to secure the cleat to the wall. I have block walls. What kind of anchor would I use and what kind of fastener? Thanks for the help as always!

Corey

Roy Wall
09-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Cory,

Look into "Tapcon" screws.....I know they are for concrete applications.....this is only a guess that will need further research! I'm sure a creeker will set me straight...:confused:

Richard Wolf
09-18-2006, 11:16 PM
I like Red Head expanding sleeves. You can get them at the Borg and they come in different sizes. They are a treaded rods with a nut and hold well in block walls.

Richard

Gary Keedwell
09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
It wouldn't hurt to put a bead of the appropriate constuction adhesive to go with your mechanical fasteners.

Gary K.

Corey Hallagan
09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Roy thanks I have never used those before but I was wondering about them. Looks like the original Tapcon is the one for wood to concrete. Can anyone tell me if these should get drilled into the grout or into the block? With these you predrill the wood and then drill then straight thru the 1 x material and into the block right?

Richard, I take it this is the product you are talking about right?
http://www.smithfast.com/studinst.htm
A little confusing but i looks like you would drill thru the 1 x material and then push the thing into the wood into the hole and hammer it into the wall and it expands. The threaded end is the end on the surface right? Do you put a nut or anything on the end or just bang it flush?

Thanks for the help guys!
Corey

Randy Meijer
09-19-2006, 2:05 AM
I have never used them; but have seen some post by folks who had bad results. I have always used some sort of expanding mertal anchor and have never been disappounted

Norman Hitt
09-19-2006, 2:40 AM
Richard, I take it this is the product you are talking about right?
http://www.smithfast.com/studinst.htm

A little confusing but i looks like you would drill thru the 1 x material and then push the thing into the wood into the hole and hammer it into the wall and it expands. The threaded end is the end on the surface right? Do you put a nut or anything on the end or just bang it flush?

Thanks for the help guys!
Corey

Corey, you would put a washer and a nut on it after you banged it in to expand and set it in the hole and then tighten it up. In your case, since you might want to slide things along your french cleat, you probably should use a forstner or other bit that would give a flat bottom and drill deep enough into the french cleat to allow the nut to be flush with the surface of the cleat and then when it is tight, use a hacksaw and cut off the bolt flush with the top of the nut.

If your concrete blocks are as flimsy as a lot I have gotten, you might not want to use an expansion type fastener. If you do use this type, you want to insert them in the Concrete block and NOT in the grout.

I personally have had better luck, (considering the frailty of the blocks I've sometimes gotten), using the OLD type fasteners that have the little wings on them that use a spring to open them up after they are through the concrete and then can be tightened up. These however MUST be placed so they go through the sidewall of the block and into the open hole inside for them to work. If the placement of the fastener would be such that it would be in the SOLID part of the block (like in the middle or the ends), then the expansion type fastener would be necessary.

Hope this helps

Al Killian
09-19-2006, 2:55 AM
The expanding fasteners that I use are called "wej-it". These have the washer and nut already in stalled, after you drill the hole tap them in and the tighten the nut until tight.

Chris Padilla
09-19-2006, 3:58 AM
Corey,

My local h/w store has a nice little section that displays about 10-15 different types of fasteners for just about every type of wall a home might have. Give them a shot and see what they have.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Tapcons but they do work. I've just had the heads snap off on me one too many times so no more for me....

Mike Goetzke
09-19-2006, 7:40 AM
I used French cleats for my garage cabinets - lets you move them easily if needed.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
09-19-2006, 9:00 AM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I am not sure what I want to do here at this point. Seems like alot of these items would work better in solid concrete Vs. blocks. Concrete blocks aren't very thick. The grout in the joints is pretty solid though. Guess I will take Chris's suggestion and see what the hardware store has in stock. Thanks!

Corey

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-19-2006, 3:41 PM
On Block I'd use a large Molly.
Drill the hole shove the molly in it expands and won't come out.
If it were poured concrete I'd use any of the expanding fasteners or the self tapping screws but on block I prefer to hit the cavity with a molly.

Norman Hitt
09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
On Block I'd use a large Molly.
Drill the hole shove the molly in it expands and won't come out.
If it were poured concrete I'd use any of the expanding fasteners or the self tapping screws but on block I prefer to hit the cavity with a molly.

THAT's what I was trying to think of the name of, but my mind was a total blank so I had to describe it. MOLLY bolt.......:rolleyes: :D