PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Demilune Table with pics

Nate Rogers
09-18-2006, 9:44 PM
Hello all,
It has been a while since I posted any pics, I thought I would share these with you. I built this table as part of a Demilune Table class with Garrett Hack. The class was pretty amazing, quite interesting to see a pro's take you through all the steps. When I was done with the class I had the basic carcass completed..I finished up the assembly and did all the inlay work and the applied bead at home after the class. The table is made out of walnut, the inlays are holly and the applied bead is curly maple. Please feel free to critique..
Thanks
Nate

Jim Becker
09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Nate, that's a beautiful table! Thanks for posting the pictures of a great project. And I bet that class was a lot of fun, too...

Dan Oliphant
09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Nate, nice table, very delicate looking. Well done.

Corey Hallagan
09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Wow, beautiful work. Nothing like walnut and that inlay work is lends a very classy touch!

corey

John Fry
09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Very, very, nice Nate.

Your table is clean, classic and very elegant. My only critique might be that the top's "overhang" appears a little bit too wide for my taste. Having said that, it is beautiful, the grain continuity in the apron is great, the maple beading is just right, and the holly string work is wonderful.

I just did a federal game table with extensive string banding on its legs and I used a 1/16" upcut spiral bit in a Dremel, mounted on a "Stew-Mac" base with edge guide. What method did you use?

Again, good job!! You should be very proud of your table.

Roy Wall
09-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Nate -

Beatiful table.......Hepplewhite style????

The inlay work is excellent and I like the design.

glenn bradley
09-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah Nate! Very NICE!

George Heatherly
09-19-2006, 12:29 AM
WOW! That's a beautiful table!

Roger Barga
09-19-2006, 1:29 AM
Sounds like that was a great class to take. Thanks for sharing the photos.
roger

Vaughn McMillan
09-19-2006, 2:11 AM
Very nice job, Nate. Thanks for showing the pics.

Robert Mickley
09-19-2006, 3:18 AM
WOW, that is awsome.

lou sansone
09-19-2006, 5:27 AM
Very, very, nice Nate.

Your table is clean, classic and very elegant. My only critique might be that the top's "overhang" appears a little bit too wide for my taste. Having said that, it is beautiful, the grain continuity in the apron is great, the maple beading is just right, and the holly string work is wonderful.

I just did a federal game table with extensive string banding on its legs and I used a 1/16" upcut spiral bit in a Dremel, mounted on a "Stew-Mac" base with edge guide. What method did you use?

Again, good job!! You should be very proud of your table.

I would also be interested in the method you used. john.... how did you like the stew-mac?
lou

Mike Cutler
09-19-2006, 5:34 AM
Nice work Nate. Classic look and style. The lines are very clean. Not too over the top with the inlay work, or grain selection.
You may not have posted in awhile, but you picked a winner to post when you did.

I agree with Jim. That must have been a fun class.

Nate Rogers
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Well, I want to thank you all for the nice compliments..As for some of the questions, originally I tried to do the string inlay with the scratch stock method that Garret teaches. I had very good luck with this on the straight inlays but obviously it didn't work so well for the curves. I tried numerous other methods, a exacto knife etc. Finally I settled on a downcut router (dremel) bit from Stewart-Mcdonald..I believe i went with the 3/64 size, the holly is so bright compared to the walnut I had to go with a slightly smaller size, 1/16 was to much. It is amazing what a difference a 64th makes. That bit worked really well, I had to build my own jig to hold my dremel tool (I'm cheap), and created a fence..I also built a little jig for the curved part of the inlay, just cut the inlay so it almost connected then finished it off with a exacto knife to keep it real precise.

As for the comment that the table top overhang is a bit large, I keep going back and forth on that..One day I agree, the next day it looks fine, I guess time will tell. I am certainly not going to adjust it now, the finish is on and I am calling it complete! The one thing I am most proud of is that not one square inch of this table has seen any sandpaper. All surfaces are finished up with a handplane, i am really becoming a huge fan of hand tools. They really bring everything to that next level, fit and finish is just so much more precise.

Once again thanks for all the nice comments..
Nate