PDA

View Full Version : the bad, the ugly, and the good, in that order

Mark Pruitt
09-18-2006, 8:39 AM
A few weeks ago I posted three bowls (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41623) that I had roughed out for DNA drying. This weekend I pulled them out of the wrap and every one of 'em blew up while on the lathe.:mad: I guess there were bad places in the wood; I was working with a sharpened bowl gouge and not doing anything different in terms of tool presentation, etc. I did manage to salvage this one. I guess you could say he got his wings clipped::o
47115The only reason I kept it was that it already had an "earthy" look to it and I figured that the jagged edges kind of played into that motif.

The other two blew completely apart. Pretty depressing actually. So I pulled out a pine log and sawed out a blank and started turning away at that. Had a nice ogee profile on the outside; flipped it, chucked it, began hollowing out and guess what--it blew up too.:mad:

I was getting pretty put out by this point (late Saturday afternoon), but I was going to stick to it and get at least something right. Sawed a blank out of a cedar log and turned this:

Felt like experimenting with a cedar NE, since I had turned so much of that pretty heartwood out of the first one:
47117 Kind of dumpy looking, but there wasn't much to work with there. But LOML kind of liked it so I won't toss it--yet.

By this time I felt like I had turned a corner (pun intented) and wanted more. One more blank sawn, mounted, turned, and out came what I feel is my best bowl yet:
4711847119 The pictures don't really do this one justice. There is some neat grain in this one and I managed to take advantage of it. In the bottom, you can't make it out in the picture but there are a couple of pink strands where heartwood and sapwood meet that enhance the appearance. I went with a flat profile on the sides as a memorial to the days when I once did flatwork.:p (I still need to complete my workbench!)

So to have started off so raunchy, this weekend had a plesant ending to it.:) :)

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Brett Baldwin
09-18-2006, 3:42 PM
All's well that turns well. I'm finding the instant gratification of turning is somewhat mollified by these unintended design changes.