PDA

View Full Version : my first homemade tool

Brian Page
10-12-2003, 12:36 AM
Here is my first attempt at making a tool. A jointer's mallet from maple and walnut finished with BLO and mineral spirits. Leather caps on the ends.

Was considering making another from some red oak flooring scraps that are begging to be used. What would be a nice contrasting wood to use?

Brian

Lloyd Robins
10-12-2003, 2:56 AM
Very Nice! I am impressed. I have a couple of questions. What is the weight and size of the mallet? Did you make the leather caps? If not where did you get them? I might have to try to imitate you.

Brian Page
10-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Very Nice! I am impressed. I have a couple of questions. What is the weight and size of the mallet? Did you make the leather caps? If not where did you get them? I might have to try to imitate you.

Thanks for the compliment. The plans came from a recent ShopNotes, not sure which one. Maybe 65 or 66. The size is 3 1/2" by 5" with a 12" handle. The leather came from a local hobby shop, which I glued on with contact cement. To add some heft, I drilled two holes with a 1 1/2" forstner bit and then filled them with small lead fishing weights and epoxy. For the next one, I will be using lead shot.