PDA

View Full Version : A "bad luck" first

Terry Quiram
09-18-2006, 6:59 AM
I have been turning and using a chain saw for almost 4 years and this is the first metal object I have run into. These were deep inside a 22" Persimon. Probably some little boy playing. Can't say I didn't do that when I was a kid. Did not make my day. At least I didn't shuck any teeth and the chain can be re-sharpened.

Terry

Mark Cothren
09-18-2006, 8:48 AM
That stinks, Terry. I found some barbed wire buried up in a trunk back a few months ago. Also a not-so-nice surprise...

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2006, 9:26 AM
Terry,

I know how you feel. I've found barbed wire in one piece before and my most interesting piece was a chunk of dry walnut I got from Bobby Hatfield a few years back. Started turning the outside and wound up finding over 50 bullets confined within a 6 inch area near the heart of the tree. Now, this walnut chunk was pretty big and from my "ring counting" it was just over 100 years old. It's my guess that somebody was target praticing on that walnut tree MANY years ago. Didn't really bother me so bad since it was all lead bullets.

I have heard of a turner finding a horseshoe inside a piece before!!!!:eek: :eek:

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Terry that is to bad. I found the same thing as Dennis. I found in the center of a ash tree around 20 lead bullets. As near as I could tell these were fired around 110 to 115 yrs ago. There used to be a sod house about 300 feet from that tree. I have also ran into fencing staples.

Steve Clardy
09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes. Been there, done that:( :( ;) :D

Try sawing a ceramic insulator in half. It doesn't work.:mad:

Keith Outten
09-18-2006, 11:34 AM
In our neck of the woods you never know what you will find when cutting large trees. We frequently find Civil War atrifacts that were consumed by trees close to encampments. Everything from brass buttons to rifles and canteens are found around here. Many of the sawmills have displays of things they have found inside trees and it is sad to see artifacts destroyed or damaged by a sawblade. Most of the local mills require a $250.00 deposit before they will cut a tree that isn't their own. If they hit anything there goes your deposit and you have to produce another $250.00 before they will resume cutting.

Frank Fusco
09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Horse shoes are not that uncommon. Often hung on a small branch then forgotten.

Jim Underwood
09-18-2006, 1:19 PM
What's bad is when you run into something that you nailed into a tree...:o

I had a rabbit pen several years ago, and put staples in the tree to hold up the wire fence. When the tree began to get diseased, then I cut it down for blanks. I left a 4 foot stump and later came back to it and made about 6 blanks out of it. Unfortunately I forgot all about the staples.

I wondered why my bandsaw wouldn't cut very well on two of the blanks...

Then as I was turning them, I was forcibly reminded, "thunk, thunk thunk" as my gouge was dulled by the fence and staples going by....:eek:

I pulled the staples and fence out and kept turning....

Gonna be some nice pieces too.

Paul Downes
09-18-2006, 8:19 PM
I have learned the hard way that if sawdust from the chainsaw starts coming out dark grey in color, you better stop quick. On the other hand, I have some walnut that is now dry enough to make a few gun cabinets for a friend (who owned the tree). It has bullets and shot dispersed throuout the boards and should make for an awesome gun cabinet. Makes me wonder about shoot'en the heck out of a few more for some of this premo wood.:D

Andy Hoyt
09-18-2006, 9:17 PM
I ran a buried hammer through a foursided planer way back long ago.

The noise it made was - umm - most unique!

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2006, 7:02 PM
Bummer dude.

Robert Mickley
09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Between , chainsaws, the mill, and turning I've found, Nails, fence insulaters( Steves right they don't saw well) Fence wire, gate hinges, lag bolts, a piece of 1/2 inch steel cble and a 16 inch crescent wrench.