PDA

View Full Version : My first rasp work!

Alan DuBoff
09-18-2006, 3:18 AM
It's laminated scraps of maple and walnut, it has about 8 sections laminated, don't ask me why...:-/

I don't know what you call it, maybe it's art, I don't know. It's supposed to be a bird of paradise which ended up with a flamingo body or something. You have to understand I grew up in the 60s...<LOL!>

Anyway, it's the first thing I did using a rasp.

(linky pic for high res)

http://www.softorchestra.com/images/small_bop.jpg (http://www.softorchestra.com/images/bop.jpg)

EDIT: There was something I was curious of. I once saw a very anal breakdown on glues, and how they broke down over time and such. Pretty informative, but seemed very analytical about the type of glue one uses. I'll admit that I don't know much about glue, I never even sniff'd it when I was a kid, I used to use it to build airplane and car models, stuff like that...Anyway, I use some regular Elmer's white when I laminated this up, and never thought about it. Do you think something like this would have a problem with the glue seperating over the course of many years? I never really thought about it, just grab'd some scraps, laminated it up, and Elmer's white was there at the time.

I think I'm gonna leave 'em in the window. Looks content there...<g>

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
09-18-2006, 4:57 AM
Kinda cool, Alan! I'd keep it there.

Hans Braul
09-18-2006, 7:13 AM
Alan, I think it's cool. I'd call it "Roadrunner Goes To Heaven"

Cheers
Hans

Roy Griggs
09-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Alan,
I got stuff that is 30 years old that was glued up with plain old Elmers white glue, hasn't seperated yet. You built models...you sniffed glue, or at least breathed enough of it and paints etc to qualify. My hobby room was about a 3x4 closet with a little shelf/bench to work on...years later I figured out why I was gettin the buzzing in my head...<G>.

Need to watch it with the rasps, they are addicting for moving wood...another slope, and the Ariou (sp) rasps get pretty pricey.
roy

harry strasil
09-18-2006, 3:36 PM
If you look carefully on the bottom of some old furniture that had scallops etc, you can still see the rasp marks they were finished with, No one looks under there so it didn't need to be smooth and a nice finish.

Jim Becker
09-18-2006, 3:52 PM
Very nice work, Alan. That bird'd be welcome around here, for sure! Great job!

Alan DuBoff
09-19-2006, 2:28 AM
I got stuff that is 30 years old that was glued up with plain old Elmers white glue, hasn't seperated yet.My comments about Elmers were kinda tongue 'n cheek Roy, and I agree with you completely about Elmers holding up.

The bird has become one of my favorite pieces. That bird is also older than some of the members of this very forum, I forgot to mention...the rest of the story...:rolleyes:

Yes, I made the bird back in about 1973. He's about 33 years old, not bad for good 'ol Elmers glue, huh? He doesn't seem to be falling apart at the seams, AFAICT.:p I received an "A" on the bird, even though he is a bit rough, my woodshop teacher (Dale Petty) thought it was creative and encouraged such work. The wood came from a metal trash can that was our "scrap bin", and me and a couple other guys would get together once a week and laminate scraps up for different projects...we made loads of cutting boards, bowls, and other stuff that we gave away as presents during the holidays, all out of scrap wood.

I am only a hobbyist when it comes to woodworking, but it's a hobby that's been with me for a good many years. I was 15 years old when I made that bird...and there's a couple bowls I turned on the lathe I'm gonna try and steal away from my Mom when I get down to her house again, that were made around the same time.

Need to watch it with the rasps, they are addicting for moving wood...another slope, and the Ariou (sp) rasps get pretty pricey.I agree they're pricey, but they're nice also. I'm gonna send my Nicholsons down to Boggs, that really seems to make a big difference to them. Maybe someday I'll stumble across some deal on Arious or just break down and buy some, they definitely look and work a bit better than the Nicholsons. But before I do that, sending my current rasps to Boggs is in order. Mr. Grandstaff has convinced me to at least try that before buying new rasps...

Jim, if you get the girls out to the shop, help them make something. I made some cutting boards with my kids this past Mother's Day (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/wood/mothers_day_2006/index.html), and I look forward to having those in 30+ years. BTW, my Mom has a cutting board I made for her 30+ years ago, maybe it's 31 years old. It was also glued with Elmers, gets tons of water on it, and has been in use for 30+ years. I always hated the design, it has a handle on it like a pizza board, and the long grain is on the top, which is typically not as good for cutting boards...the fact is that my Mom loves it because I made it.:p

She got a new one recentely also...I figure anyone that would put up with using one of my cutting boards for 30+ years deserved a new one.Now she has one from me, and one from her grandkids.:)

Mike Wenzloff
09-19-2006, 3:39 AM
Hey Alan--it's pretty cool! I like Hans' comment of "Roadrunner Goes To Heaven."

Take care, Mike

Andrew Homan
09-19-2006, 7:06 AM
I'm gonna send my Nicholsons down to Boggs, that really seems to make a big difference to them. Maybe someday I'll stumble across some deal on Arious or just break down and buy some, they definitely look and work a bit better than the Nicholsons. But before I do that, sending my current rasps to Boggs is in order. Mr. Grandstaff has convinced me to at least try that before buying new rasps...

Sorry for asking if this is obvious -- you mean there is someone who will "hotrod" your Nicholson rasps? Are there more details of this, or a link to another thread?
Thanks,
Andy

Alan DuBoff
09-19-2006, 1:45 PM
Andy,

Boggs Tool and File Sharpening (http://www.boggstool.com/)

They charge by the inch, but it's very reasonable, about $2 per file. Many people send them to Boggs when they buy them new.