PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mower accident

Ernie Nyvall
09-17-2006, 10:51 PM
I dug a pond/tank for catfish. It's 14' deep, but the sides are cut straight down 4' for my spawning boxes. Well the water has eroded the walls back a little about 6" below the rim. Because of the erosion, I started cutting a slope back into the sides to get rid of the drop-off.

Well, I was mowing with my zero turn eXmark and staying about a foot from the part I haven't cut down yet, but that wasn't quite far enough. The bank gave way under my right rear tire and away I went. I tried to jump further into the pond, but my back pocket caught on something and I didn't get away. I must have jumped pretty hard as my blue-jeans are ripped half way down my leg. Anyway, the roll bar (where it hinges) pinned my leg at the calf. Luckily the erosion had filled in some so that I could just get my head out of water, but what to do now. I couldn't believe I could not pull my leg out. After several attempts to move the mower off ( in whatever kinds of contorted positions I could get into), a whistle, and yell for help (fruitless for the house is 150 yrds away) I realized that my leg was getting numb and it was very painful... I needed to get out. That's when it dawned on me "hey goofy, your leg may be pinned, but that is still mud underneath you". I was able to just reach under my leg with my mouth barely out of water and dig. It took a little while, but there was relief with every scoop.

Luckily I have a front end loader on my tractor and was able to lift the mower straight up. No water in the oil or hydraulics, but I will still clean it thoroughly and change every fluid in it.

Soreness has set in from the strawberry on my back (don't remember that happening) down to my toes, but everything works.

What a day.:rolleyes: :o :D

Boyd Gathwright
09-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Hi Ernie,
.... Sorry to hear about your accident. Guess you got too close to that pond after all.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26622 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26622)

Stay away from ponds:).

I dug a pond/tank for catfish. It's 14' deep, but the sides are cut straight down 4' for my spawning boxes. Well the water has eroded the walls back a little about 6" below the rim. Because of the erosion, I started cutting a slope back into the sides to get rid of the drop-off.

Well, I was mowing with my zero turn eXmark and staying about a foot from the part I haven't cut down yet, but that wasn't quite far enough. The bank gave way under my right rear tire and away I went. I tried to jump further into the pond, but my back pocket caught on something and I didn't get away. I must have jumped pretty hard as my blue-jeans are ripped half way down my leg. Anyway, the roll bar (where it hinges) pinned my leg at the calf. Luckily the erosion had filled in some so that I could just get my head out of water, but what to do now. I couldn't believe I could not pull my leg out. After several attempts to move the mower off ( in whatever kinds of contorted positions I could get into), a whistle, and yell for help (fruitless for the house is 150 yrds away) I realized that my leg was getting numb and it was very painful... I needed to get out. That's when it dawned on me "hey goofy, your leg may be pinned, but that is still mud underneath you". I was able to just reach under my leg with my mouth barely out of water and dig. It took a little while, but there was relief with every scoop.

Luckily I have a front end loader on my tractor and was able to lift the mower straight up. No water in the oil or hydraulics, but I will still clean it thoroughly and change every fluid in it.

Soreness has set in from the strawberry on my back (don't remember that happening) down to my toes, but everything works.

What a day.:rolleyes: :o :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Ernie.......I'm sure glad you weren't seriously injured!

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-18-2006, 7:36 AM
Injured?! He might coulda drowned...and that's rather permanent. :eek:

Yikes!

Bill Grumbine
09-18-2006, 8:21 AM
Yikes Ernie! :eek: With my adventure a little over a week ago, I can really relate to this, without the added excitement of the water of course. I am really glad to hear that you made it out. My turn (over) with the mower really gave me an appreciation for the tenuous connection we have with this life, and the gratitude I have for not leaving it just yet. I am happy that you are still with us as well.

Bill

Jason Roehl
09-18-2006, 8:28 AM
Hug those who love you, Ernie, you're a blessed man! I'm glad to hear you weren't seriously hurt, but I'll bet your heart got a bit of a workout with some extra thumping!

Jim Hager
09-18-2006, 8:44 AM
I'm glad you made it out without permanent injuries. We have lost a couple of people around here in the last few years from similar accidents where they weren't so lucky as you.

Matt Meiser
09-18-2006, 8:45 AM
Wow. Sounds like you got very lucky.

But, the first thing that came to mind was weather you were wearing your seat belt? Seems like it would have kept you from getting trapped under the ROPS. Of course instinct would also be to try to snap it off and jump. I read somewhere, probably in my tractor manual, that it is safest to ride the tractor down if the ROPS is up as it will keep you in a relatively safe place vs. risking getting pinned between the tractor and ground. Just curious, not trying to be critical.

Joe Mioux
09-18-2006, 8:57 AM
Ernie,

It's good to hear you made it out. Take it easy for a couple days.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm so glad you are still with us, Ernie...what you describe could have been a tragedy. I shiver to even think about it!

Ken Garlock
09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
You are one lucking fellow, Ernie. There is a lesson for everyone in your misfortune. Now don't do that again.:D

Sparky Paessler
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow Ernie! Glad to hear you made it out Ok. It sounds like that was too close for comfort. Be careful out there!

Sparky

Frank Fusco
09-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Quite a story. Scary stuff. Glad you got out OK. I worked our farm alone for 25 years at a location five miles from our home. Was always very cautious but still cognizant that the unexpected can still happen.

Tyler Howell
09-18-2006, 12:34 PM
EEEEEEYUUWEEEE! Ernie your making me queazzee:eek: .
Glad everything turned out OK.
You don't have any pictures do yah??:o :rolleyes:

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-18-2006, 1:20 PM
When I read Lawn Mower Accident, I had visions of something NASTY! I'm VERY glad I was WRONG!

Bruce

Dave Ray
09-18-2006, 1:33 PM
Glad your OK Ernie. When I read story headline had visions of blood and gore. Drowning never entered my tiny mind. Was a little scared to open the email. I admire the way you kept your cool and got yourself out of very bad situation. Sure happy for you that all is well.

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2006, 1:35 PM
Ernie,

I'm VERY GLAD to hear that you came out of that just fine. Mow the edges of the pond with a weedeater. DAMHIKT!!!!!:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
09-18-2006, 7:46 PM
WOW! Holy Cow! & some other words! Glad your ok.

Robert Mickley
09-18-2006, 8:01 PM
WOW Is right, this is one of those case where a seat belt could have done you in. Glad your ok Ernie, but you know there are easier ways to wash the mower

Christopher Stahl
09-18-2006, 8:03 PM
I also thought something worse when I read the subject. I also have an eXmark Lazer Z, and it's not something I'd want to roll on me. My lawn is flat, so I keep the ROPS folded down and I don't wear my seatbelt, but if my lawn had any hills or water, I would definitely use them both.

I've had my share of crazy things happen on the eXmark. On more than one occasion, I've driven around trees that caught on the ROPS and snapped back and hit me in the back of the head.

Christopher Stahl
09-18-2006, 8:04 PM
One last thing I forgot to mention, glad you're safe! I would have freaked out.

Steve Clardy
09-18-2006, 8:20 PM
Glad yer ok Ernie.
Reminds me the time my Mother had a lawnmower/ pond incident.

About five years before she passed away [2001] she was mowing close to the pond edge behind the house, riding a MTD mower [Made To Destroy Brand:rolleyes: ]
Grass was a tad slick, slightly downhill, ground a tad spongy.
She got to close, got stuck. She got off, tried pushing it to no avail, so she slipped it in gear, hopped off to help push.
She had put it reverse:eek:
Mower backed up, and of course the front wheels had to turn:(
That mower backed right down into the pond. Blubbered for a few seconds She said, then quit.
She went and got Dad to help get it out.
Dad said he got there, spotted the mower. It was completely under water, sitting there with the headlights shining.:eek:
Guess he hooked it up to the tractor and pulled it out.

Ben Grunow
09-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Glad to hear youre OK too. That is a crazy story, who would have thought a person could drown while mowing!

Just a thought. I have sunk several outboard motors (some while in operation) and the first thing to do is remove the plugs and crank it over a few times to expell any water that might be in there. Since water is non compressible it will bend the crank, ruin bearings and pistons if it is not allowed out. Spray some oil in there and crank some more. Just a thought from a fellow underwater motorer.

Wes Bischel
09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Ernie,
Glad you're OK!

Wes

Ernie Nyvall
09-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Bill, I read a mention of your accident, but I guess I missed the thread. I'm glad you came out okay, and by the way, you are exactly right about the appreciation for life. Every time I closed my eyes and tried to sleep last night, the scenario played over and over with a bit more of a struggle. I had to get up and read a bit.

Matt, no problem. I didn't take it that you were being critical, and questions about it are certainly welcome. In this case, had I been wearing my seat belt it would have been a disaster. The bank caved under my right rear tire and my left front was in the air in less than a second, so I dove toward the pond. The mower landed completely upside down and the back of the seat was buried in the mud. My ROPS are extended, but not completely. Measuring the difference of fully extended, the mud would have been 6" above the top of the seat which hits me in the chest. My head would have hit hard clay and I could have been knocked out or a broken neck. I'm not sure how i caught my leg... I thought I was free of it.

Know this... I am not advocating for people to go without a seat belt.

The pond will get a new face with gentle slopes to the water instead of a straight drop-off. If it will cave in under a lawn mower, then sooner or later, it will under a person.

Tyler, it's been said that if there are no pictures then it didn't happen, so I'm trying to make it go away.:D

Jim, I've shivered throughout the day when I've thought about. I'm glad to share some.:D

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I really appreciate it.

Ernie Nyvall
09-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Glad to hear youre OK too. That is a crazy story, who would have thought a person could drown while mowing!

Just a thought. I have sunk several outboard motors (some while in operation) and the first thing to do is remove the plugs and crank it over a few times to expell any water that might be in there. Since water is non compressible it will bend the crank, ruin bearings and pistons if it is not allowed out. Spray some oil in there and crank some more. Just a thought from a fellow underwater motorer.

Thanks Ben, I'll do that. Of course I may just take it to the dealer and have them go over it. If I can keep my warranty after doing this, that may be the way to go.

Brad Schmid
09-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Ernie,

I've been gone for a few weeks and I come back tonight and read this! Man, I'm happy to hear you're ok! Glad you kept your wits about you and thought your way out. I bet it felt good to crawl up out of there after an ordeal like that:eek:

jeremy levine
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
If you work ( ride , hunt , hike ...) far from home grab some of these.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/acr_emergency_whistle.html

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Injured?! He might coulda drowned...and that's rather permanent. :eek:

Yikes!

Yeah Permanent death is really bad for you.