PDA

View Full Version : Finally - turning again

Jeff Horton
09-17-2006, 10:05 PM
I have not posted here in a while because I was fed up with turning. I think I am on the road or is that slope, again. Been having lots of trouble with tear out/rough spots that I simple could not find the cure for. Bad enough that I couldn't sand them out. They seemed to be radnom small areas but almost always in the end grain. Being so random was giving me fits. A larger area would be easier to understand.

I have finally got to point I was willing to try again. I have been asking questions and trying some new things and seeing some improvement, finally! I have a beautiful black cherry bowl I turned tonight that I saw no serious problems with. I think I can sand all of it out. Of course it was a badly checked blank and will never be a good bowl. I didn't want to waste any good wood. I still tossed in the Alky bath. What the heck, finish it and see if turn out with no bad spots it should help me feel like getting back on the lathe.

<Kicks the soap box back to the middle of the room>

Bernie Weishapl
09-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Good to see you back again Jeff. I am not expert by any stretch of the imagination but Jeff I don't know if it is the gouge or what. I watched Mike Mahoney's video From the Tree to Table. He said to use a traditional grind gouge and sharp for the final pass or two. I have been using the Ellsworth grind or Irish grind and was having a lot of problems like you were. I bought a 3/8" and 1/2" P & N traditional grind bowl gouge. I didn't eliminate it all but I think I did eliminate 80% of my tear out. One other thing I found that helps and again Mahoney said try mineral oil or spritz with water. He prefered mineral on the tear out and then hit it with a sharp gouge. It does work at least for me. Also one thing Ellis Hein told me was to sand the tear out while the lathe is off. Once it is pretty smooth start up your lathe and power sand away. Hope this might help as I know it is the pits.

Jim Dunn
09-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Tear out, rough spots, who cares but you and the lamp post. My wife says they add character. Course Andy is character enough for me.. Maybe I'll have to find some way to get rid of that character, rough spots that is:)

Corey Hallagan
09-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Glad your back in the game. Just relax and have fun Jeff.

corey

Richard Madison
09-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Might try higher speed, very sharp tool, and multiple very light cuts. Then sand. Or more higher speed, etc. Very light cuts. Use any tool. High speed, sharp tool, very light cuts. Works for me.