PDA

View Full Version : Very Basic DC system + mini shop tour

Art Mulder
09-17-2006, 9:29 PM
Spent a few hours this weekend doing some shifting and rearranging in my little shop. I'm probably not finished, but hopefully I've made some progress towards a better and more efficient layout. Also gave me an excuse to finally put together all the bits for my "huge" DC pipe system.

And obviously I've been here too long, since I seem to have acquired the belief that if I don't take a picture of it, then it didn't happen... :rolleyes:

My shop is an "enormous" 11x24 in size. but I share it with some storage. Couple of extra feet of width would be nice, I find that the narrowness restricts me a fair bit. So far, I find that the most efficient layout is to keep all the machines along the one wall, with benches + storage along the other wall. This makes for a fairly simplified DC pipe layout. The other thing, is that the code here (or at least 20 years ago when this house was built) is to just insulate the top half of the basement walls. This creates a sort of "notch" about halfway down where the half-wall stops. To me, this makes a great place to tuck in the DC pipe. So instead of running the pipe up to the ceiling and then having drops to the machines, I just have the main line of the DC system running about half-way up the wall and along the side of the shop.

And yes, I know that a 6" main pipe would be better -- at least as far as the tablesaw. But 6" pipe is just not easy to come by, I find. Maybe at the end of the month I'll find some at the Woodstock Woodshow. We'll see.

But on to the photos.

1- SW corner, 2HP Toolex Single-bagger with upgraded top bag. (The trick I learned here is that you can use el-cheapo leaf bags for the bottom, if you leave the stock clock bag on the outside of the bottom, since it keeps the bag from blowing out. Works like a charm)

2- Moving along the W wall to the Tablesaw. I've got the Long Ranger wired remote controlling the DC, which I picked up on a trip into Michigan at Woodcraft, with a switch right there about halfway. Maybe I'll wire up the blast gates, maybe not.

3- over to the NW corner, couple more drops for the jointer + DP. (Just moved the jointer there, we'll see how the location works out. I think I'll lift it a few inches to clear the TS table height.)

So that's it. Two sections of ten-foot pipe, with a handfull of connections/wye's make up my DC network. Pretty basic.

4- and since I'm almost done, here is the E+NE wall with the workbench and storage. Oh, and I missed the bandsaw, which is shoved into the other corner right now... still not sure how best to fit it into my new shop rearranement. And my ancient 10" Ryobi planer lives up in the garage.

that's all, folks.

Justin Dreier
09-17-2006, 9:33 PM
Art - looking forward to your post and the pics. The links didn't work. Still didn't happen?

Jim A. Smith
09-17-2006, 9:35 PM
Looking ok there. I'm still in the broom, dustpan mode

Justin Dreier
09-17-2006, 9:44 PM
Art - Ok, the pics came up on the second view. It really happened!

Nice layout. Tucking the PVC under the half wall works well. My shop is just about the size of yours and I find it works really well. I spend 10-12 hours a week tinkering and making projects. We'll for the last couple months, tinkering with the DC system. It's amazing how much time a quest for the ultimate shop takes!

So, what is your next quest for the ultimate shop? Further evolution of the DC, a new tool or a project? Best Regards, Justin

Jim Becker
09-17-2006, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the tour, Art!

BTW, you may want to consider changing out that "tee" for a "wye" in the jointer drop for better performance. That should be cheap and easy, too...

Marty Walsh
09-17-2006, 9:53 PM
Art,

Nice utilization of your space. I now have a better feel for your comments in my shop thread about being jealous about my space. Your shop is tighter than my last one in VA. But it looks like you're doing well and making the best of it.

BTW, what sort of gates are those I see in the pics?

Keep the photos coming as you.
- Marty -

Art Mulder
09-17-2006, 9:53 PM
The links didn't work. Still didn't happen?

Justin, you were quick on the trigger. I messed up the links/attachments the first time, and then I had to edit to fix them. You must have hit inbetween.

My next quest? We'll see. Someday I'd like to clear the storage out of the remaining corner. That'd give me another 8' of unobstructed wall in the SE corner.

But we'll see what follows me home from the Woodstock Woodshow (http://www.woodstockwoodshow.ca/) at the end of the month...

Matt Meiser
09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Looks good. If you make it back here to Michigan, I know of a good source for 6" pipe and fittings about 45 minutes south of the Detroit-Windsor crossings. In the mean time, I agree with Jim that it would be worth it to change out the T's for Wyes.

On wiring your blast gates--I like having mine wired, but I ran into a big drawback that the blower would shut off as soon as I closed a gate. That meant going tool to tool, I would end up walking to the next tool, opening the gate, and walking back to the first tool to close the gate. I solved the problem through a rather expensive (if I would have had to pay for the parts) way of putting a 20 second timer that gives me time to walk to the next tool.

Art Mulder
09-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the tour, Art!

BTW, you may want to consider changing out that "tee" for a "wye" in the jointer drop for better performance. That should be cheap and easy, too...

This?

Well, it isn't a Tee, but it isn't really a Wye either. I dunno what they call this. It does sweep a bit, but isn't like the sharp angle a wye gives. I'll keep my eye open for better. As it is, I'm into this piping for maybe $50 so far, so it isn't a huge outlay. Rona (HD equiv) didn't have wye's when I was shopping.

BTW, what sort of gates are those I see in the pics?

Marty, I picked those up at Woodcraft when I was in Grand Rapids, MI, several months back. (See the photo above for a closeup) They go with the wired Long Ranger remote. They've got micro-switches on them, so I could wire them up to the long ranger. One came free with the remote, and I bought the other two, It was only an extra buck for the ones with the switch on them, so I figured I'd keep my options open. They wedge into the 4" PVC pretty tightly. Those are just friction fits.

Oh, and Justin, you were asking about future goals? Here is the remaining SE corner of the shop. I'd love to get all that storage moved out and converted into more, ahem, productive shop space. Someday...

best,
...art

Joe Mioux
09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Art:

thanks for the tour....

How do you like that table saw?

Joe

Art Mulder
09-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Looks good. If you make it back here to Michigan, I know of a good source for 6" pipe and fittings about 45 minutes south of the Detroit-Windsor crossings.
Matt, I was about to say that I always cross at Sarnia/Port-Huron on my way to Grand Rapids... But then I remembered that I was thinking of taking the family to the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, OH (http://www.greatwolflodge.com/Locations/Sandusky/) sometime for a day or two getaway, which seems to be in the right direction... :D I'll try to keep this in mind.

I'm also hoping that the Woodstock Woodshow in two weeks might have someone with proper DC fittings.

Art Mulder
09-17-2006, 10:18 PM
How do you like that table saw?

Joe, it's a great saw. I put a review on my website (http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/%7Eamulder/wood/rev-saw/) back in 2002 shortly after I bought it.

For anyone else wondering - it is a General International 50-185 contractor's saw. At the time, it was about $100 more (cdn$) than the average competition of import contractor's saws. For me, the biggest deal is that it comes with a Canadian-made General fence - pretty much the same as the Biesemeyer fence.

If you've got a flat table, and a blade that is parallel to the miter saw, and a good fence... well that's what is mandatory for a good saw. Everything else is gravy.

Some people at the time reported some issues with the saw shifting when you tilt the blade, but General has improved that in newer models, with better locking on the trunnion bolts.

I would endorse it with no qualms.

...art

ps: but to be honest, if I had the money, I'd buy a saw with a proper riving knife.

Jim Becker
09-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Art, I could be mistaken, but I think they call that particular branching connection a "street tee". But I don't even play a plumber on TV. (I actually did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the other night in Belgium, however...LOL)

Steve Clardy
09-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Niffy little switches there. I'll hafta cruise, surf over to woodcraft--------------------------:)

Justin Dreier
09-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Art - wish I could join you at the wood show. Your storage picture helps tell the story. I was thinking the shop size was reasonable for a good, useful shop. My shop is 14 x 20 and although tight, I've got stuff put in order so it works really quite well. The storage in the corner cuts a great deal out of your space. An easy fix for someday and you'll feel pretty good about the SQ ft in your shop.

I was noticing what looked like "T's" in your DC pipe also. With the close up, I see it does have a tight turn which should be ok. I've used actual "T's" before and the true "Y" greatly increases the air speed. You have $50 wrapped up now....if you go to 6" just plan on $300 or more. The pipe is only about $1.70 (US) per foot, but the "Y's, 45's and other fittings are about $20 per piece. I was quite surprised, but it's been a good add for me.

Keep the pics coming as you progress! Justin

Jim Dunn
09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
This?

Well, it isn't a Tee, but it isn't really a Wye either. I dunno what they call this. It does sweep a bit, but isn't like the sharp angle a wye gives. I'll keep my eye open for better. As it is, I'm into this piping for maybe $50 so far, so it isn't a huge outlay. Rona (HD equiv) didn't have wye's when I was shopping.

It's called a sanitary Tee. To make it a true Y you add a 45 deg. elbow.

Matt Meiser
09-18-2006, 8:56 AM
But then I remembered that I was thinking of taking the family to the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, OH (http://www.greatwolflodge.com/Locations/Sandusky/) sometime for a day or two getaway, which seems to be in the right direction... :D

You are going to pass less than 1 mile from the place I'm thinking of when you go south on I-75. And only about 15 minutes from me. If you are interested, let me know--I could even pick up the stuff for you if they aren't going to be open when you are going by.

tod evans
09-18-2006, 9:03 AM
thanks for the tour art.

lou sansone
09-18-2006, 1:01 PM
real nice shop you got there. looks like you make good use of the space you have.

lou

Dave Ray
09-18-2006, 1:19 PM
Art, tight space but you are making the most of it. Thanks for the tour, and good pic of those gates.

Larry James
09-18-2006, 9:19 PM
Art, thanks for the tour.

The tee may be a allowed in venting (the V in DWV), but a true "Y" is required for the drain-waste (the DW in DWV). The local Menards box store in my area has "Y" fittings to 6".

I also have a small, narrow shop with the tools on one side wall, that worked best for me after trying other layouts - "great minds think alike."

Larry

edit: Do you work safer with Norm looking over your shoulder?

Art Mulder
09-18-2006, 9:51 PM
Do you work safer with Norm looking over your shoulder?

:p:p:p (I had to think for a second...)

I pinned that poster up years ago, freebie from Home Depot I think, and have since basically forgotten about it. And NO, I basically never refer to it. The wall location, though, is such that I've never needed to hang anything else there.

Now, the WOOD magazine drill press speed chart -- which you can see pinned to the wall by the drillpress -- I use *ALL THE TIME*. Google "Wood magazine drill chart" and you'll find the PDF file available in a few places.

best,
...art

Larry James
09-18-2006, 10:15 PM
:p:p:p (I had to think for a second...)

I pinned that poster up years ago, freebie from Home Depot I think, and have since basically forgotten about it. And NO, I basically never refer to it. The wall location, though, is such that I've never needed to hang anything else there.

Now, the WOOD magazine drill press speed chart -- which you can see pinned to the wall by the drillpress -- I use *ALL THE TIME*. Google "Wood magazine drill chart" and you'll find the PDF file available in a few places.

best,
...art

Art, thanks, that is very extensive DP speed chart.
Larry

Norman Hitt
09-19-2006, 1:48 AM
I enjoyed the tour, Art, but I've just got to know..........WHO is that you've got hanging by his feet behind the Pachinko Machine? Is it someone you caught adding more boxes to the storage area?:eek: :mad: :D :D Good on Ya, Serves him right.:D

Art Mulder
09-19-2006, 7:57 AM
WHO is that you've got hanging by his feet behind the Pachinko Machine? Is it someone you caught adding more boxes to the storage area?:eek: :mad: :D :D Good on Ya, Serves him right.:D

Her. :eek:

My wife wears the hip waders in this family. :cool:

Or, at least she did. (Her PhD in Botany involved lots of tramping through wet boggy peatlands)

...art