PDA

View Full Version : Got my lathe today,,,

Doug Jones
10-11-2003, 11:24 PM
and its not the HF lathe. After I got to the show in Indy, I saw the Jet mini lathe for 179.00 and you get a 20.00 gift certificate with purchase. So after walking around the show for 3 hours, I figured I don't really have room for a full size lathe and never haveing turned, I thought my best bet would be to start out smaller in size. And HF always has sales on their lathes should I decide to go bigger later. (Or maybe even the Oneway lathe I saw today,,,yeah right) So I got the Jet mini, then ran over to HF and picked up a folding workbench for the lathe and a 8 piece tool kit made from HSS. The tools say "Windsor Design" on them. Then went over to Rockler (have a 20.00 gift certificate to spend now) and picked up the stuff I needed to make 2 pens.

So now can I be in your turning group, and be called a turner,,,,can i,,, can i,,,,,

John Miliunas
10-11-2003, 11:59 PM
So now can I be in your turning group, and be called a turner,,,,can i,,, can i,,,,,

And now it starts! Welcome aboard, Doug! As far as I'm concerned, yes, you may now be called a turner! That or you got yourself one fancy buffer.... :D Keep us posted on progress and have PHUN!!! :cool:

Anthony Yakonick
10-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Any HF lathe is a step down from a Jet mini IMO

Anthony

Ken Salisbury
10-12-2003, 6:39 AM
So I got the Jet mini, then ran over to HF and picked up a folding workbench for the lathe and a 8 piece tool kit made from HSS. The tools say "Windsor Design" on them.

GOOD MOVE DOUG! !

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-12-2003, 8:13 AM
I agree Doug, the Jet Mini is a nice lathe. Unless you want to do really BIG things, it will do the job for you. I think you made a great buying decision. I am anxiously awaiting the shipment of my VS Jet Mini from GIS, but I have looked at them many times, and I think it is a good machine. Nice turnings, by the way. The small Weed Pot type turning looks like a nice piece of wood. What type of wood is that? You seem to be well on your way. I guess we can call you a Turner now............you will never be the same again! :D

Bart Leetch
10-12-2003, 9:28 AM
Well now Doug seeing as you now have a lathe, what you really need is a nice pot of grease. TO GREASE THE SEAT OF YOU PANTS, its a slippery slope & the grease will help keep the seat of you pants cooler as you slide down to join the rest of us.

Glenn Hodges
10-12-2003, 9:41 AM
Welcome to the round world. I think you made the right decision. You got a good buy on the Jet Mini, when I bought mine I paid $300, but I did get the stand with it. Now think about a Woverine jig, and a good slow grinder (if you don't already have one). Good turning, have fun....