PDA

View Full Version : Tenoning/Mortise followup question

Kevin Gerstenecker
02-24-2003, 10:12 PM
After the excellent replies to my Tenon Jig inquiry, I thought I may ask another question regarding mortise cutting. I intend to get a dedicated Mortising Machine someday, if necessary. Right now, I thought I would use another method for accomplishing my Mortises. What would be a good method for mortising, or perhaps there is a good Router Jig one could make for this task? What does everyone think of the Mortise attachments that are made for drill presses? In the past, I have used the router and chisel and had good results, but maybe someone has an idea or 2 to speed thing up and provide better consistancy? I am planning a Computer Workstation and Kitchen Pantry Cabinet project and I am sure there will be no shortage of Mortise/Tenon joinery on this and future projects. (Not to mention the Shaker Style Bed, Head & Foot Board the Mrs. wants me to do in the near future. I guess I have to keep her happy too........after all, she nevers complains when I buy more tools!) Thanks again for the excellent advice and information...........Everyone here has been very helpful, and it is very much appreciated!

Carl Eyman
02-24-2003, 10:49 PM
At the risk of being laughed of this forum at my first post, I'd like to show you a poor man's mortiser that is working well for me. I have a no name drill press ( abt $120), a no name mortise attachment ($65),( a Delta rip off), a Harbor Freight positioning vise($50), and diamond sharpening cones from Lee Valley ($6).

With the chisels good and sharp via the cones and buffing the outer surfaces until the shine this set-up works. Note in the picture there are two hex head cap screws in the sides of the jig 180* from each other drilled and tapped so they go under the quill of the drill press. These are key! Without them the attachment tends to creep up on the quill ruining the adjustment of the auger and the square chisel.

I am in the process of making a batch of chairs. With the positioning vise once I set it I can leave it until I get all similiar mortises cut. Man it's like downtown. Now let's see if I can post the picture! Carl

Bob Lasley
02-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Kevin,,

I used a Delta DP mortising attachment for awhile and it did ok. The main thing I disliked about it, was setup time. I have cut mortises on both horizontal and vertical router tables. I have used handheld routers and templates. Now I mostly use a dedicated bench top mortiser, but still use the other methods, except for drill press, for some projects.

Carl,

Nothing to laugh at. It looks like it gets the job done and thats what counts!

Bob

Robert Henderson
02-25-2003, 7:17 AM
I use my router table with a spiral downcut Bit. I have used a DP mortise attachment but as others have said, it's a real pain to setup.

Robert

Ken Wright
02-25-2003, 7:19 AM
Dedicated and DP attachments do a good job. I've had both but sold the DP version because of the hassle of setup. The dedicated does a good job but unfortunately the set up on it is a hassle also because of the need for 3 hands to attached the drill and chisel. For that reason I tend to make only "uni-size" mortises. If I had it to go over again I would probably go to the unit Ken Salisbury has shown. It really looks a lot easier.

Ted Shrader
02-25-2003, 9:01 AM
Originally posted by Carl Eyman
At the risk of being laughed of this forum at my first post, ......

Carl -

All ideas are welcome and you won't get laughed at. That is the beauty of a friendly forum.

.... Note in the picture there are two hex head cap screws in the sides of the jig 180* from each other drilled and tapped so they go under the quill of the drill press. These are key! Without them the attachment tends to creep up on the quill ruining the adjustment of the auger and the square chisel. .....
Carl

Sorry about the editing chop job. Wanted to thank you for the good idea about the cap screws used to keep it from riding up like a bad pair of underwear.

How about posting some pictures of the chairs when you get them finished?

Thanks,
Ted

Chuck Waller
02-25-2003, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ted Shrader
[B]Carl -

All ideas are welcome and you won't get laughed at. That is the beauty of a friendly forum.

Ted,

Thanks for your comment. BP may be almost gone, but the spirit lives on!

Lee Schierer
02-25-2003, 12:21 PM
I have nearly the same set up for my drill press (older Homecraft) and it works pretty well for what it cost. I would suggest that you hone the outside of the chisels to make them as smooth as possible. This will greatly improve their performance when your are cutting.

Mike Goodwin
02-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Kevin,

With all the mortises that you will be cutting, I would suggest moving up the time-table on buying a mortiser. I have the Jet bench-top model and have used it to make several projects including two A&C rocking chairs.

I had been chopping them by hand and then moved to the router. The dedicated mortiser has been by far the fastest and easiest method and has produced the best results.

I had also decided to put off the purchase until later, but decided to get the most possible use out of it. I was making one of the rocking chairs for my sister when she had her baby earlier than planned. I had to work overtime to get her the chair and the mortiser made it possible.

You can get the Jet or the Delta for around $200. The shopfox bench-top unit also looks good with it's dual columns.

At some point I may move up to a floor unit, but so far the small guy has worked fine for me.

Mike

Carl Eyman
02-25-2003, 2:13 PM
To Ted and All:
I really didn't think I'd get laughed at - out loud, anyway. But thanks for reasuring me. Think I should emphasise the utility of positioning vise. When one is doing repetitive cuts the extra set-up time pales as the vise allows you to do cut after cut without any new set-up. A dedicated mortiser won't work with the vise, I understand. It was Wm. Duffield that sold me on using the vise.

BTW here is the first chair dry assembled with lots of carving to come. I'm presently busy with making four mor, and, if I live long enough another five.

Bart Goldberg
02-25-2003, 3:03 PM
Kevin, I built the mortising jig that is in the book "Router Magic". I've used it with great success. Even though i now have a dedicated mortiser, there are times when I still prefer the mortises made by my router using the jig.

Carl Eyman
02-26-2003, 1:19 PM
I've been trying to post a picture of the first of five chairs I'm building. In the picture there is no decoration (carving) shown but now I have one that needs only final sanding, and four more where all parts are made but need considersably more carving. Hope I live long enough to finish this batch and then five more. Wish me luck.

Ted Shrader
02-26-2003, 1:34 PM
Originally posted by Carl Eyman
... In the picture there is no decoration (carving) shown but now I have one that needs only final sanding, and four more where all parts are made but need considerably more carving. ...

Carl -

That look great!. Can easily see where it is going. They will be fantastic!

What sort of finish is going on them? Chair bottom?

Well done!
Ted

Bob Lasley
02-26-2003, 1:40 PM
Carl,

Those are going to be great looking chairs. Can't wait to see pix of one finished.

Bob

Dennis McDonaugh
02-26-2003, 1:40 PM
Carl, the XY vice will work with the older model Delta and most other benchtop mortisers, you just have to reverse the head to give you enough room for the vice. The new Delta comes with a 2" riser block which lets you mount it frontwards.

Dave Anderson NH
02-26-2003, 2:24 PM
ambitious folks around Carl. I really like the splat style on that chair. What style of claw foot are you going to go with, Philladelphia or Newport? Oh yeah, when did you move back to Louisiana from CA?

Carl Eyman
02-26-2003, 5:06 PM
Dennis, Bob, Ted, Dave:
Thanks for kind remarks. I sometimes wonder if I should have head examined.

Thanks for info on vise vs bench mortiser.I'd heard different but glad to have facts.

And, Dave, I've been in LA (not L.A.) since 1982 and did a tour here back in 60's.

This forum seems to be working out well. Is everyone as pleased as I?

Carl Eyman
02-26-2003, 6:26 PM
It is my version of The Philadelphia style copied from Phil Lowe's vidio presentation. I just got the last of the ten done this afternoon. Why don't you come on down for a few weeks. Get out of the cold and you can decorate the knees for me. Carl