PDA

View Full Version : Fuming QS White Oak

Martin Gerber
09-17-2006, 12:21 PM
About 5 years ago, I fumed some mission furnature. I used the appropriate strength ammonia to fume.

Last night I fumed a couple more pieces for about the same period of time (1 hr).

Today, I am ready to finish coat but I am wondering if the ammonia may have weakened over time. In the cabinet where I store the ammonia, I have gotten a slight whiff even though the cap has been on tight - - the fumes in the fuming tent seemed strong but it is a little hard to tell as I wear an ammonia respirator. The reason why I am wondering is that the fumed pieces do not appear to have darkened during the fuming process. From the prior finishing batch, I can't remember if I could see that they had darkened before putting the finish on.

Can some one please advise.

Thanks.

tod evans
09-17-2006, 12:53 PM
martin, put `em back in before you apply finish. they should darken even if the ammonia is weaker it`ll just take longer. if you`re able to look at the earlier pieces side by side with the new ones you should be able to get close color wise. depending on the finish you used it may have yellowed in 5 years? .02 tod